Menu

Latin for a 9th grader

My son has done Henle Latin, VERY slowly for the last two years. One of those years was with Classical Conversations and one was with Memoria Press.  I am not sure how much he has retained and he hates Henle.  I am thinking of switching him to another Latin for this year but I am not sure which. I have looked at tons and looked at the threads on here but my head is starting to spin.  I don't know that he is going to want to take the AP exam for Latin.  He is a bright child but very happy with average or just doing what he absolutely HAS to do. I am hoping he grows out of that. I know very little Latin and although I am willing to learn it with him it would have to be a program that is easy to understand and follow  or an online program.  Cost is some of an issue but if the program is good we will pay for it.  What programs would you suggest?  I have looked at the Harvey Center, Potter's School, and Wilson Hill Academy. I like the looks of all of them but worry about the ones in which he would have to pass a grammar test to do them.   His grammar is improving but still a work in progress.

My ds started at Lone Pine last year (in 8th), and I am very happy with how much he learned. His only exposure to Latin before that was Getting Started With Latin, and he ended up doing very, very well on the NLE. :)

The community at Lone Pine was also a good fit for us. The course is rigorous, but the kids have a lot of fun along with it. I had no hesitations in signing him up for Latin 200 this year.

• Like 1

You know your kid better than anyone, but be flexible.

AP Latin is actually one of the hardest AP exams there is. The depth of Latin language and literature knowledge you must have is daunting.

One of mine did it with a "5," and one will have four years of high school Latin but doesn't have the drive and detail for AP Latin. She's doing other AP's but not that one. This year (11th) will be her last of Latin with Latin 4. She knows what her brother went through to get there, and she has other things she wants to do in 11th and 12th.

For us, Lukeion was the path that got my oldest to a "5."  They have a proven track record of that type of performance. That said, it was the toughest series of courses he had in high school. I heaved a big sigh of relief when I picked him up, and he said, "I aced it."

For now, any of the tracks you suggest will get you there.  If he does well on Latin 1 and 2, then you'll want to be looking for someone with a good track record of AP results. Mine did Henle with Classical Conversations, then Wheelock's with VPSA, and then one went to Lukeion and the other to Classic Academic Press.

• Like 1

We are pretty settled on Latin Alive for high school. With the DVD teacher it is still much cheaper than an online class :).

Is he pretty independent doing it on his own with just the DVD?  I would like to do an online class for Latin but our finances are really tight right because we just did a big move so if I can do one with a DVD and wait till next year for the online course that would be great.  

You know your kid better than anyone, but be flexible.

AP Latin is actually one of the hardest AP exams there is. The depth of Latin language and literature knowledge you must have is daunting.

One of mine did it with a "5," and one will have four years of high school Latin but doesn't have the drive and detail for AP Latin. She's doing other AP's but not that one. This year (11th) will be her last of Latin with Latin 4. She knows what her brother went through to get there, and she has other things she wants to do in 11th and 12th.

For us, Lukeion was the path that got my oldest to a "5."  They have a proven track record of that type of performance. That said, it was the toughest series of courses he had in high school. I heaved a big sigh of relief when I picked him up, and he said, "I aced it."

For now, any of the tracks you suggest will get you there.  If he does well on Latin 1 and 2, then you'll want to be looking for someone with a good track record of AP results. Mine did Henle with Classical Conversations, then Wheelock's with VPSA, and then one went to Lukeion and the other to Classic Academic Press.

Thanks!  We are going to go into with a plan in case he does decide to take the test but I honestly don't see him having the drive to do that and I am ok with that ;)  I have learned that being flexible is the the name of the game in homeschooling.

Thanks! We are going to go into with a plan in case he does decide to take the test but I honestly don't see him having the drive to do that and I am ok with that ;) I have learned that being flexible is the the name of the game in homeschooling.

Ah, I though you weren't too set on the Latin AP. No sure if Latin Alive will get you there in time. I believe it would require study in addition to the series.