Menu

WTM Reading Narrative Requirements

I need a little guidance from some homeschool experts! 

I'm lesson planning for the coming year (we start in 2 weeks) and I have a question about reading.  In TWTM, for Logic Stage, the book says that we should spend time 4 days/week on reading, including reading, discussing, and writing a narrative in best handwriting. 

I have SWB's list of discussion questions and I've gathered some from online sources for some books, so I feel comfortable discussing the books (and I've been reading them ALL summer!!).  My question is about how long the narrative writing should be. I don't want to say "1/2 page" or "6 sentences" because I know my kid will give me the absolute minimum. 

How do you handle reading in your home?  What is the end outcome of the narration?  I feel like I should be looking for more than a summary since this is Logic, but I'm not really sure what a 6th grader *should* be putting out. 

I also don't want to ask for too much since he is also doing WWS and has other writing throughout the day.

Thoughts?

I also don't want to ask for too much since he is also doing WWS and has other writing throughout the day.

Thoughts?

If he's already doing WWS that is plenty writing for a 6th grader. Requiring written narrations of literature is going to be redundant to what he's doing in WWS. My thoughts? Discuss those books thoroughly and move on.

• Like 2

If he's already doing WWS that is plenty writing for a 6th grader. Requiring written narrations of literature is going to be redundant to what he's doing in WWS. My thoughts? Discuss those books thoroughly and move on.

:iagree:  When we did WWS, that was plenty of writing. It is more sophisticated than "just" narratives, too.  I would do just what SilverMoon suggests: talk about the reading, and focus on WWS assignments for writing.

• Like 2

Agreeing. I did add to WWS, by requiring some additional outlining and written summaries for history, because I thought it was helpful for cementing learning and not for the sake of composition. But we gave up fairly quickly on the book summaries and just discussed.

Agreeing. I did add to WWS, by requiring some additional outlining and written summaries for history, because I thought it was helpful for cementing learning and not for the sake of composition. But we gave up fairly quickly on the book summaries and just discussed.

This is what we are doing - focusing on WWS assignments and adding in summaries or outlines from history. + one science summary a week.

• Like 2

I guess in retrospect when my dd was doing WWS, I didn't have her doing addition summaries in science or history, but we did continue discussing books and I'd have her write about them.  Not tons of books, and not every week, but several each year alongside the writing she was doing in WWS.  But we didn't do this right away - when we started WWS, it felt like plenty of writing.  Then as it became more familiar, we added in some other stuff.

• Like 1

I guess in retrospect when my dd was doing WWS, I didn't have her doing addition summaries in science or history, but we did continue discussing books and I'd have her write about them. Not tons of books, and not every week, but several each year alongside the writing she was doing in WWS. But we didn't do this right away - when we started WWS, it felt like plenty of writing. Then as it became more familiar, we added in some other stuff.

We try to time other writing to coincide with "easy" WWS days (1 through 3). When we write out first lit analysis, we will just slow WWS a bit. I mean we do it all, but we pace accordingly.

SWB says one lit analysis per week in fifth grade sling with summaries and outlines. Should we read this as WWS + 1 lit analysis per week? It seems a lot!

Oh, I broke down and bought confirmation/refutation W&R. It's Now we will really see a juggling act. :)

• Like 1

We try to time other writing to coincide with "easy" WWS days (1 through 3). When we write out first lit analysis, we will just slow WWS a bit. I mean we do it all, but we pace accordingly.

SWB says one lit analysis per week in fifth grade sling with summaries and outlines. Should we read this as WWS + 1 lit analysis per week? It seems a lot!

Oh, I broke down and bought confirmation/refutation W&R. It's Now we will really see a juggling act. :)

Yeah, that seems like a lot. We didn't do one lit analysis a week in 5th grade alongside WWS.  We did a handful of books that year.

• Like 1