Menu

We're doing 3 classes on DVDs with BJU this yr & the organization is lacking - ideas?

HI, we are doing Chemistry, English and History on BJU DVDs this year.

Anyone have tips or ideas?

Being a 12 year homeschooler with 5 kids, I know a little bit about getting organized. But I am drowning still -even as we finish out 2nd week. I seem to be improving but constantly paging thru all the parent/teacher info to find the assignment, my duties, the quiz or review sheet, etc.

In my other classes for all my kids, I pull all the tests and quizzes out and put them in test/quiz pocket foldesr in binders. When the kids need a test they pull out their "test" binder and go to the subject they need and they are ready to go.

BJU, otoh, seems to have so many "types" of quizzes; i.e. in class, oral quizzes, after class, etc.

Same with grading - with my other classes, I kept the grading separate for each subject- with BJU, I am thinking of using a grade book for the first time - where every subject would be in one binder (for all kids - only 2 high schoolers doing BJU) and all students would be in the same binder.

Thanks for any tips and ideas - I really would appreciate it. I am swamped and I keep thinking there must be a way to make this easier to quickly have what the students need, what I need, etc.

Lisaj

There is a BJU homesat yahoo group and the ladies there were very helpful.

Hi Jean :seeya:

Can you tell me how to get there - I know how to get to yahoo groups - do I just search for something like bjuhomesat once I get there?

I am extremely unimpressed with the way BJU sends everything for the DVDs - I would like a much more specific rundown on the class content. I would also like a "quick start" guide like you get with a new appliance. It would be nice to have a time/order for each class. Like 8min quiz, 10min going over hmwork, 20min new lesson, etc. etc. Seems like it would be simple to implement.

Oh well, adjusting still!

Lisaj

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeSat/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeSatOT/

And i just found these doing a "homesat" search at yahoo - i'm not a member of them, and there are a few others.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BJUHomeSatDVD

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeSatDVD

There have been some topics recently on the OT group i listed on getting Organized. Everyone seems to have a different "thing" that works for them.

I copied the Teacher Tips and gave the pages we were on to DD to have to use. Before giving those to her i had those pages in a binder - a smaller subset of the big one for less flipping.

I get all her papers - except tests - together for the week at some point over the weekend. Are you doing W&G and Lit at the same time or just W&G? We are doing Lit first - and I have the added thing of having the newer text and like the stuff on the CD (reminds me, she's not asking for them :glare: ).

Otherwise, i'm NOT organized myself yet - i'm busy not trying to drown in recording "everything" i need for a few years since this is the last year of the Sat Broadcast.

I am sorry I didn't see this until now! Tracey has you covered though :D . I have never used the DVDs, just had gotten the SAT dish and materials and was beginning to go through them when we decided to not use BJU, so I don't really have an answer to organizing stuff. I hope the yahoo group is helpful for you!

We use a few HomeSat DVD courses as well.

What I am doing:

I separate student pages by type--study notes, labs, enrichment go in a student binder. Voila--my student has a ready to go student notebook. The quizzes and tests go in another binder. On quiz/test day, he can get what he needs or ask me. All schedules are photocopied so student has one readily available and I have one readily available which I keep in my scheduling binder. I keep the answer keys in another binder. Note: these may or may not be physically separate binders--several Courses of Teacher Info may fit in one binder with index divider tabs.

We do not worry about HW points--those 5 points or so that act like section review questions. My son answers them, but we don't track them. I see the HW points as a kind of "daily showed up grade" and so this year, I will add in 2 pts/day of class/DVD watching and participating (mentally) in the HW and InClass quizzes. (My son usually gets all the HW right, so I am making it simple on myself). I do count the points for labs we do, written quizzes, tests, projects (eg. in history/English). I already *know* my student is participating and don't need the extra measurement of HW and InClass quizzes to tell me that, but I think the final grade will be more accurate if the children earn "daily work" points.

Some of the classes (Mr. Harmon's classes, Mrs. Vick's 7th grade English) include very handy "keep track of grade" sheets. Others don't. I, too, am considering getting an old-fashioned Teacher's grade book... I really think I will because the written record for grades at the high school level is very important.

HTH,