Menu

After Unified Modern Math 3 what are our options?

Gil

I had hoped to stretch Unified Modern Math series out, but the odds of us completing UMM3 this (school) year are terrific. The boys are 7 and 8 and going into "3rd" grade. What are some resources that we could look at as our next step? Are the rest of the books in the UMM series available anywhere? I can't find them online, but as I understand it courses 4-6 were written and published...

Whether you used UMM or not, what are some interesting 6th-10th grade math resources that you used with your AL?

So far, UMM has been one of their favorites resources. They love the variety of the lesson topics even though the books are ugly and sometimes the difficulty yo-yos based on their level of familiarity with the topics. I work closely with them at some points, and am close to hands off at other points.

By the end of this calendar year we'll be in UMM3A. By the end of the 3rd grade school year, we'll probably be done with UMM3B and at that point we'll have completed 3 years of UMM, the entire Keys to series including Algebra and Geometry, the entire Algebra Readiness Made Easy Series, entire Math Mammoth 1-6 series, a lot of units from Math Mammoths Gold and Green series also. They also will have completed a bunch of Zacarro books (3 challenge math books, RWA, BaPSG) a book of Numberless word problems, Mathematics: A Human Endeavor, AoPS Introduction to Number Theory, A bunch of random grade 6-10 supplements for math, algebra, geometry, logic,  word problems and problem solving, a college level "Math for Liberal Arts" textbook, they'll have obtained an even higher level of proficiency at oral and mental computations, and are capable of doing a variety of 6th-9th grade problems without writing anything down and we have some CTC supplementary math books such as MR through Verbal Analysis that we will have completed by the end of 3rd grade. They already dabble in and out of materials that range from Algebra 1 to Calculus 3 at will and about 15% of their free reading is from our personal collection of supplementary math guides intended for highschool and college students.

They read and will continue to read a lot of middle grade level living math books as I can get my hands on them. We continue to work from and study The Art and Craft of Problem Solving by Paul Zeitz, Polyas books on proofs and problem solving and a few other more advanced resources that are probably never going to be completely completed.

So, even though we have a "year" I desperately need idea for options for me to begin looking at now.

I never found courses 4-6 online either, and I looked for them for a while. Here's the sections though so you can see what would have been covered next -- page 14 of http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED077720.pdf

You can find them in some university libraries, and if you can possibly find them through inter-library loan it might be worth your while to order them and spend some time with a scanner. For example, Miami University of Ohio has course 4 -- http://www.lib.miamioh.edu/multifacet/record/mu3ugb1283419

• Like 1

I never found courses 4-6 online either, and I looked for them for a while. Here's the sections though so you can see what would have been covered next -- page 14 of http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED077720.pdf

You can find them in some university libraries, and if you can possibly find them through inter-library loan it might be worth your while to order them and spend some time with a scanner. For example, Miami University of Ohio has course 4 -- http://www.lib.miamioh.edu/multifacet/record/mu3ugb1283419

Thanks for that link. I think I have all of the files off of ERIC, but I can't browse them the way that I can a physical text. I'll try and get a hold of course 4.

PS: I never knew that there was a city called Miami in Ohio. Fascinating!