Menu

Reading Lessons Through Literature

For those of you that have used this....how old was your child when you started?  I am interested in using this with my ds who will be 6 in October, but his handwriting is still lacking.  We are working on HWOT K right now, but he isn't forming letters on his own good yet and he complains a lot that his hand hurts.  Should I wait to start RLTL until he is forming letters on his own really well?

I would also love to hear reviews from anyone that has used RLTL.  I have read past threads, but I know peoples opinions change over time.

John wanted to read and write *very* early, so we wrote the phonograms in sand. It took a while for him to learn them and his writing abilities have improved. The copywork he did earlier was "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want." If he doesn't want to write he'll practice in the sand. It's his call so I'm not worried about overdoing it.

For those of you that have used this....how old was your child when you started?  I am interested in using this with my ds who will be 6 in October, but his handwriting is still lacking.  We are working on HWOT K right now, but he isn't forming letters on his own good yet and he complains a lot that his hand hurts.  Should I wait to start RLTL until he is forming letters on his own really well?

I would also love to hear reviews from anyone that has used RLTL.  I have read past threads, but I know peoples opinions change over time.

I have a ds5 who will be 6 in January and his handwriting is lacking too.  I've decided, for now, to save RLTL for 1st grade and use the Phonogram Workbook by the same author for K.  The Phonogram Workbook is his handwriting practice as well as his phonogram practice.  DS5 is very much ready for reading now. He was actually ready last year.  I've always taught my children to read early, but I am delaying with my son (4th kid) as an experiment, I guess. 

Or use RLTL as his handwriting practice now.  Can he write one or two words a day?  There's no need to rush through the books.  That way you kill two birds with one stone.  I really like the phonogram workbook for handwriting though, because you practice the same letter over and over, and then practice identifying the sound in words.  

I'm using RLTL with my 2nd grader this year as her spelling curriculum, along with ELTL 1.  We're about 8 weeks in.  It's great.  I like it and recommend it.