Menu

What after Getting Started with Spanish?

All these Spanish threads are reminding me I need to figure out dd's next Spanish course.  She's almost done with Getting Started with Spanish.  Dh has a little high school Spanish, and I never studied it, so we aren't much help.  

What would be a good text for her next?  It needs to be self-taught, not dry, but probably at a high school level.  She's 10.  

Thanks.

My son used En Espanol 1 last year and is moving on to En Espanol 2 this year.  Of course, we send him to a class once a week, so I'm not sure how well it would work completely independently.  But it's an option and is pretty cheap.  There are corresponding quizzes online as well.

FWIW, neither me or my husband speak Spanish and we aren't able to help him other than to review vocab.  Other than the hour of class per week, he's pretty much on his own.  He's 10 also.

No, it's not online.  One of our HS'ing friends is by trade a foreign language teacher, and she teaches several languages classes through the school year at her home.  For $30 a month, it's well worth it since it's a subject that I can't teach.  She basically teaches to help out with grocery money.  This is a September - May course, and she gives you all the paperwork needed to transcript it properly.  (Which is something that I haven't even really thought about yet, so I keep everything in with our end of year standardized test scores.)

I would suggest looking around your local area and possibly talking with other HS'ing families to see if someone nearby does something similar.  Or even if they aren't a homeschool family, but someone you know has the knowledge to help and is looking for a little extra money.