Menu

Chalkdust Geometry reviews?

I've used Chalkdust for PreAlg, Alg 1&2, and PreCalculus. Across the board, my kids have loved Chalkdust. For geometry, we've used Jacobs. It's been hit or miss--big hit or big miss. Some of my kids absolutely loved Jacobs, citing it as one of their favorite courses in high school. Others really disliked it. I can't seem to predict which ones will love it and which will hate it. (If anyone knows how to predict this, please enlighten me! eta: I'm going to ask this in another thread.) So I'm thinking about just using Chalkdust Geometry for my next student. I'm interested in reviews on the 6th edition.

• Like 1

I just applied to your last post. D12 watched Chalkdust videos on youtube under the name "math guy" I think. Anyway, she thought his videos (although excellent teaching) were too long winded. She does not have the patience to sit through them.

She is currently working through Foerster Alg 1 and rarely uses the MWB videos. I have to beg her to give them a look. She has seen maybe 3 videos in the first 9 chapters. so I know chalkdust won't work for her.

• Like 1

We have had three complete Chalkdust Geometry and currently have three taking it.  They all love Mr. Mosley.  He's like a part of the family around here!

He does an excellent job of teaching them how to do proofs, which is one of the hardest parts of Geometry.

Mr. Mosley is loved in our home, too. If my kids ever saw him, it would be like they were seeing a celebrity.

Thank you for your response. That's exactly what I was looking for.

My dd used Chalk Dust for Geometry. She liked it and loved listening to him say the word "measure". However, when she took act practice tests, her geometry scores did not reflect that she had completed a whole year of geometry. Her score was the same as it was prior to taking geometry. :( She has been doing some more test prep and the score is going up a bit but not much. Not sure if this is a fault of Chalk Dust or not.

• Like 1

My dd used Chalk Dust for Geometry. She liked it and loved listening to him say the word "measure". However, when she took act practice tests, her geometry scores did not reflect that she had completed a whole year of geometry. Her score was the same as it was prior to taking geometry. :( She has been doing some more test prep and the score is going up a bit but not much. Not sure if this is a fault of Chalk Dust or not.

Thank you. This is the type of review I was looking for. Do you know which edition she used?