Menu

Part-Time School + Kids Day Planners?

So, my children (rising 4th and 5th graders) will be doing part-time school at a private school this upcoming year. We did part-time (at a different school) for math last year, though we started late in the year.

They will be taking two classes. Math is a definite, but the second will be most likely language arts/English or social studies-- depending on the school's schedule. (Unfortunately, we will not learn the schedule until the week before school starts, when the teachers have their meetings to figure out who does what/when.)

I remember 5th grade being a time when I started having more book reports, or different projects to do, and I want to make sure the kids stay on top of their work. It was pretty easy last year- they'd come home and do their math homework, plain and simple. Now that we have two classes at the school-- it gets a bit more tricky.

There's also the possibility they will be taking classes through our homeschool co-op as well-- things like jr. chemistry, writing, engineering-- but we won't know for sure until the school schedule is out. 

So, I'm thinking the kids (especially my older child) might benefit from some type of planner to help keep on top of book reports, spelling tests, etc. But-- I'm unsure of how to implement this. One of the local charter schools (a high-stress tons of homework per night school) actually has classes in the summer for their students (elementary age included) on how to use their day planners for the upcoming year-- so, I know that some people do this.

Does anyone have any experience with day-planners or calendars or organizers for older elementary-aged kids? I want to give them the best chance at succeeding, but don't want to overwhelm them.

I looked at a lot of student planners for this upcoming school year, and I finally decided on this one (even though we aren't catholic).  I really liked the simple colorful layout of the elementary planner.  I also liked that it had a calendar for each month in the front of the planner in addition to the weekly assignment pages.  I'm anticipating it working well.

I like these, God's Word in Time, which are very inexpensive (CBD or Rainbow Resource about $6).  They come in several varieties.  My daughter has used the ES/MS Student Planner for 4th-8th, and I bought another for this year (7th).  Our local Christian school students use a planner similar to this starting in 5th grade.

http://www.godswordintime.com/

We've used planners for a few years now. When DC were in lower elementary (until grade 3), they just had a notebook with days of the week tabs and they would write down what was 'due' for a given day. Then we switched to planners. The student ones from Mead work well for us. We've tried the all sizes and DC determined that the large size works best, more room. They like to see the whole week on two pages, and also like that the day is broken into hourly increments. We get them at Walmart, and in fact bought new ones last week. DC are Very excited to start using them and have highlighted all the holidays already.

In the beginning of planner use, DC just wrote down their assignments like they did in the lower grades; there wasn't too much planning happening. Around grade 5, they began to use the planners more seriously. They write what needs to be done on the day it is 'due' but also on the day it is assigned. If it is a big assignment, they break it down into steps and write down what needs to be done on the day they need to do it. So, if they had a book report due in two weeks, they would write today that it was assigned, and two weeks from now that it is due. They would then break down the tasks, say read ten pages a day, and write that task for each day. Decide that in one week they need to do a first draft, etc... DD is better at doing this independently. DS still needs guidance and reminders. They also write all of their activities and practice, piano, sleepover,etc...

I think it helps them to keep track although of course I still remind them to check their planners. Time management is an important skill and it doesn't come naturally to everyone; I think it's good to get started early. DC also like the contacts section at the back to keep track of their friends' phone numbers and emails.