Menu

Grad school for me: 2 questions

Mandamom

I don't know if I should post this here or somewhere else but I have a question. 

1) I am applying to an online Master's in Ed (Reading) program and I have no idea what my enrollment status should be (full-time, part-time, 1/2, or less). Currently I work teaching during the day and tutor in the evening. Since my husband is mostly back to work (at night), I plan on cutting back some on tutoring but I still need to do some). I also have 3 kids 15, 13 and 9 who are involved in a variety of activities and go to school during the school year. I have been the primary source of income for 7 years so this isn't new to them.  

The financial aid office is asking for my expected status and I have no idea as to what is reasonable. I'm thinking that 1/2 to 3/4 might be nice but is that too much? When I was single years ago I managed 15-18 credits while working full-time but that was a long time ago. 

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. 

2) they are also asking whether or not i want to be considered for loans. If I say yes, will that mean I'm less likely to get a grant becuase I think I have the ability to pay it off. If I say no, will it eliminate me from anything. The reality is that I will probably have to do loans but given our household income, paying them off won't be easy. 

Thanks a lot. 

I have a friend who just got a masters in Ed in reading, and she joined a program for full time working students which focused on one course every five weeks for 18 months.  She worked full time and was a mostly single parent of several kids (a bit older than yours), but she made it.  It was HARD.  Her program was online, as well.  I would look into something like this that is specifically designed for full time teachers.

Sorry I have no idea about the grant/loan question.

I have a friend who just got a masters in Ed in reading, and she joined a program for full time working students which focused on one course every five weeks for 18 months.  She worked full time and was a mostly single parent of several kids (a bit older than yours), but she made it.  It was HARD.  Her program was online, as well.  I would look into something like this that is specifically designed for full time teachers.

Sorry I have no idea about the grant/loan question.

That sounds similar to what I'm trying to do. The course last about 5-6 weeks and I should be finished the whole thing in about 2 years. That would be hard as a single mom. Although it sometimes feel like I'm a single mom I know that dh is there to help get things done. It sounds like full-time might be an option. That's good to know. 

Thanks 

For financial aid, I believe half-time or more status is required.

That's good to know. I didn't have financial aid for undergrad due to parents planning ahead so this is new to me. 

I think I'm going to say I want to go full-time and if I have to change it later I can and will. At least I hope. 

Thanks again.