Menu

HELP! What does this mean?

Guest sixbubbas

Guest sixbubbas

I hope someone with a little more experience can help me.

I had my 8yo son evaluated at the public school. They determined that he has a significant information processing deficiency in the perceptual motor area.

The only recommendation they would give me is to enroll him in school preferably full time but they want him there for at least two and a half hours a day.

It took me two years to get this evaluation and then they did it the last week of the school year and I didn't get the results until this week. I just wanted to know what strategies to use to help my son, I do not want to send him into a classroom of 25 kids where he wll be pulled out for "special education" for half the day. Right now he knows that some things are muchharder for him than his siblngs but he doesn't hink that he is dumb. I know that after a week npublic school he will think that he is too dumb to learn anything.

His intelligence was rated at average or superior in all areas but, he scored more than three years behind on the Bender visual motor gestalt test and on the developmental test of visual motor integration.

Does anyone here know how to interpret this? Thanks for reading.

Heather

When I was a public school special ed coordinator, that child would have been given "accomodations" such as a pencil grip to help with proper positioning, a seat near the chalkboard, extra time on tests, perhaps shortened assignments as needed or a "scribe" to record his verbal answers. He would likely have had a weekly appointment with an occupational therapist.

You definitely don't need to enroll him in public school to remediate this issue. I'd make an appointment with an occupational therapist to get tips. (probably expensive but well worth it).

I hope someone with a little more experience can help me.

I had my 8yo son evaluated at the public school. They determined that he has a significant information processing deficiency in the perceptual motor area.

The only recommendation they would give me is to enroll him in school preferably full time but they want him there for at least two and a half hours a day.

It took me two years to get this evaluation and then they did it the last week of the school year and I didn't get the results until this week. I just wanted to know what strategies to use to help my son, I do not want to send him into a classroom of 25 kids where he wll be pulled out for "special education" for half the day. Right now he knows that some things are muchharder for him than his siblngs but he doesn't hink that he is dumb. I know that after a week npublic school he will think that he is too dumb to learn anything.

His intelligence was rated at average or superior in all areas but, he scored more than three years behind on the Bender visual motor gestalt test and on the developmental test of visual motor integration.

Does anyone here know how to interpret this? Thanks for reading.

Heather

Well, the recommendation was stoopid, but then you know that. :glare: However, they likely did tests that actually needed doing and you can get someone else to interpret the data for you. So all is not lost!

Did they do a WISC-IV or another IQ test? If he was 3 years behind in visual motor integration, that was likely reflected on the WISC in the areas of processing and possibly visual-spatial reasoning (I forget the exact name of that subtest cluster).

"His intelligence was average or superior in all areas" is a meaningless statement, hiding quite a bit of diagnostic information. There is a huge difference between an "average" score on an IQ test and a "superior" score.

You are entitled to the data from the testing, including the names of all the tests given, the scores, and the subtest scores. Take that data to a private professional such as a neuropsychologist for better interpretation. The neuropsych may want to pursue additional areas of testing, but it won't cost as much because you should have gotten a WISC-IV done by the school and they won't need to repeat that. The neuropsych can do the global interpretation and recommend educational strategies. An occupational therapist can also do an evaluation (this will be very specific and limited to things such as sensory processing, fine motor skills, and gross motor skills) and then they will treat the things in their area of expertise.

Meanwhile, if you tell us what you observe as to what is challenging for your son, we may be able to offer you specific strategies.