Menu

Has anyone ever made a makeshift "Elizabethan Collar" for a dog?

My very large golden will not leave her bandaged leg alone and the vet did not have collars large enough for her. The vet sold me some stuff called "YUCK" to spray on the bandages but apparently it is not yukky enough to deter her.

Background: she has a sore spot on her foreleg that she has licked raw. She got a steroid shot and some kind of ointment, plus pills (prob. antibiotics) this afternoon. I am going out of my head trying to keep her away from the bandage, as soon as she is out of my sight she goes for it. :banghead:

Aww. Poor thing. I was just thinking you might be able to put a portion of a cut up blanket (or some other old fabric) over the bandage the vet put on. At least that would slow her down a little until she gives up or the meds kick in. You could attach it with duck tape or a strong tensor bandage. Sorry no help here, I've never made a collar.

You must be exhausted chasing after her!

Aww. Poor thing. I was just thinking you might be able to put a portion of a cut up blanket (or some other old fabric) over the bandage the vet put on. At least that would slow her down a little until she gives up or the meds kick in. You could attach it with duck tape or a strong tensor bandage. Sorry no help here, I've never made a collar.

You must be exhausted chasing after her!

I must have been reading your mind because I just got some old flannel fabric and put it on as an "overbandage" and secured it with strong medical tape. After I put it on I saturated it in "YUCK." Dog is now sitting there with a flowery bandage and a forlorn look on her face. I do have plenty of this goofy material to use over her bandage, at least it is less expensive than putting fresh Coban bandages on her every hour. :glare::glare::glare:

~Dana

Lick granulomas can be extremely frustrating. Socks work for some dogs. Just be sure the tape is not too tight as you can cut off circulation. If her toes get cold or swollen your tape is too tight. There is other stuff called ChewGuard or Bitter Apple spray that is probably similar to YUCK. Careful not to breathe that stuff yourself!

As for the E-collar your vet should be able to order a bigger one if needed. I'm kind of surprised they don't have one to fit a Golden properly.

Lick granulomas can be extremely frustrating. Socks work for some dogs. Just be sure the tape is not too tight as you can cut off circulation. If her toes get cold or swollen your tape is too tight. There is other stuff called ChewGuard or Bitter Apple spray that is probably similar to YUCK. Careful not to breathe that stuff yourself!

As for the E-collar your vet should be able to order a bigger one if needed. I'm kind of surprised they don't have one to fit a Golden properly.

Thanks Soph, I was hoping you'd see this post. I have a hope of getting a collar at our feed and grain store this morning. We live in a very small town pop ~1000 so we do the best we can. My dh and dogs slept in the tipi last night and I haven't seen her yet today, lets hope that the treatment is working. I need to change the bandage every day. I like the sock idea, I've even done that with dogs in the past but I didn't remember until you mentioned it!

BTW I'd rep you but I need to spread some around first!

~Dana

i've seen dogs with plastic pots (the kind you buy a plant in) used as collars.

My first thought was a big ceramic pot I have sitting outside but that wouldn't work for obvious reasons! :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: But thanks for the idea, if I can't get an actual E collar at the feed store today I will give it a try.

~Dana