Menu

IPC then what is allowed?

If a kid took Integrated Physics and Chemistry (say, the PACworks one) (or even a different one), would he still be allowed to then do Chemistry or Physics?  If not, how to get 3 or 4 sciences in?  Biology of course.  I guess Geology or Environmental Science.  But it seems to me like Bio, Chem, and Physics are the big three.  So does IPC eliminate being able to do them?  Or  would you have to do, like, Advanced Chemistry or Advanced Physics or something?  And what book would that be?  Who carries it?

And do you or your child have certain colleges in mind? Are they thinking of college? You might check their requirements for admissions.

Do you have specific homeschooling regulations where you live? In my state we have only loose guidelines since we operate essentially like a private school. For all intents and purposes I could create whatever gratuation requirements I wanted. However, if my child intends to go on to college I have to keep the admissions requirements in mind. Since I don't yet know where they may end up we are trying to stay fairly close to ps graduation requirements for core subjects.

Here, as long as an IPC course is taken before a full Chemistry or Physics course is taken it is perfectly fine to have all three in a transcript for HS.

In Texas here, too.  It has taken me quite a bit of digging and asking to figure out the changes and I don't guarantee that I fully get it yet, but yes, to receive a HS diploma in ps in Texas you MUST take Biology plus either IPC or another "advanced" science.  After that you can take Physics, Chemistry or other sciences.  IPC has to come before Chemistry/Physics as full year courses for it to count.  So in other words, IPC is fine.  Just take it before Chemistry and Physics as separate full year courses and make certain Biology is also taken before Chemistry and Physics.  At least that is what it looks like to me.