Menu

Is anyone here a medical lab technician?

Greta

This has been on my mind a lot lately, so with all of the recent threads about careers and financial security, seems like a good time to ask.

I have a B.S. In Zoology, but I got it almost 20 years ago, and I've been a SAHM ever since, never worked. Obviously I took a lot of biology and chemistry classes, but again, two decades ago!

Local job listings do say that a Bachelor's in biology or chemistry, even without work experience, meets the minimum requirements. But are the minimum requirements actually enough to get hired?

The local CC offers an Associate's in medical laboratory technology. Seems like that would greatly improve my chances of being hired. Also seems kind of strange to get an Associate's when you already have a Bachelor's.

How hard is it to get this kind of job? Do you like your job? Tell me anything/everything you care to share about it! :)

I certified as MLT (ASCP) in 1981. I completed my BS (in physics) in 1990, then certified as an MT (ASCP) in 1991. None of my job responsibilities were any different for the MLT vs MT, although the pay was different.

Here is the info for certification from ASCP. MT is now MLS.

I worked at one hospital that only hired techs certified by ASCP, another hospital that required certification from any certifying agency, and most recently a reference lab that required no certification.

I currently work at the local community college as a tutor for biology and chemistry in the pre-allied health science learning center. It is definitely not unusual for a person with a bachelor's degree to come back to the cc for additional job training. Many of our students are older.

The allied health programs at my cc all have requirements that the required sciences be completed within the previous 5 years. If your cc has the same requirement, you will need to update your sciences. You can always try to get the job with only your current BS and then pick up the required.sciences. The company may offer tuition reimbursement and you will get to see how you like the job.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

I certified as MLT (ASCP) in 1981. I completed my BS (in physics) in 1990, then certified as an MT (ASCP) in 1991. None of my job responsibilities were any different for the MLT vs MT, although the pay was different.

Here is the info for certification from ASCP. MT is now MLS.

I worked at one hospital that only hired techs certified by ASCP, another hospital that required certification from any certifying agency, and most recently a reference lab that required no certification.

I currently work at the local community college as a tutor for biology and chemistry in the pre-allied health science learning center. It is definitely not unusual for a person with a bachelor's degree to come back to the cc for additional job training. Many of our students are older.

The allied health programs at my cc all have requirements that the required sciences be completed within the previous 5 years. If your cc has the same requirement, you will need to update your sciences. You can always try to get the job with only your current BS and then pick up the required.sciences. The company may offer tuition reimbursement and you will get to see how you like the job.

Best wishes.

Thank you so much!  This is very helpful, and it's very encouraging to know that other older students do go to the CC for updating and job training.  

I'm off to check out the link you provided.  Thank you again!