Menu

Memoria Press Poetry

tmstranger

We used the poetry guide this year with DS; we have the student and teacher versions of "Poetry for the Grammar Stage".  We love the poetry books and guides; they are much deeper than the literature guides, which I do not like.  The poetry book we have covers 3rd through 6th grade, so it is not intended to be completed in one year, or even in two.  It starts out with simple poetry, suitable for 3rd graders.  Even if you start after 3rd grade, it is a good idea to start with these simple poems, because some of the poetry exercises can be challenging and you get to ramp-up gently by starting with simple poetry.  I find the exercises and questions associated with each poem to be appropriately challenging, not too simple and not so difficult as to be un-doable.  The teacher guide is a must for me, because I am not an English-major type and know little about poetry.  But these guides make it easy to teach.  In fact, I've bought the older student's set for middle school DD and I to work through.  I highly recommend them!

• Like 1

We love the poetry books and guides; they are much deeper than the literature guides, which I do not like.  

I highly recommend them!

Thank you!  I don't really care for the literature guides either and prefer to just discuss the books, but I cannot discuss poetry...it's over my head! LOL!

I'm glad to hear these are better. 

We used the poetry guide this year with DS; we have the student and teacher versions of "Poetry for the Grammar Stage".  We love the poetry books and guides; they are much deeper than the literature guides, which I do not like.  The poetry book we have covers 3rd through 6th grade, so it is not intended to be completed in one year, or even in two.  It starts out with simple poetry, suitable for 3rd graders.  Even if you start after 3rd grade, it is a good idea to start with these simple poems, because some of the poetry exercises can be challenging and you get to ramp-up gently by starting with simple poetry.  I find the exercises and questions associated with each poem to be appropriately challenging, not too simple and not so difficult as to be un-doable.  The teacher guide is a must for me, because I am not an English-major type and know little about poetry.  But these guides make it easy to teach.  In fact, I've bought the older student's set for middle school DD and I to work through.  I highly recommend them!

Do you use these orally or do the written work? Would it be effective to just have an oral discussion using the teacher's guide? I could have my kids share the student guide for referencing the poems. I like the looks of this and I have poetry on the docket for 1-2x a week but I don't want any writing requirement.  

• Like 1

We used these by having my son to the written work, but I do think it would be just as effective to have an oral discussion using the teacher guide. I had my son do the written work, and when we went over the questions, we often expanded on the discussion. But I think oral discussion would be just as effective.

Do you use these orally or do the written work? Would it be effective to just have an oral discussion using the teacher's guide? I could have my kids share the student guide for referencing the poems. I like the looks of this and I have poetry on the docket for 1-2x a week but I don't want any writing requirement.

• Like 2