Menu

How do you plan? Reigns or no reigns? :)

Really struggling this year as to how much "freedom" to give my son and how I should plan the year.  He will be in 10th grade but has started college courses already.  He has done very well and is great at managing his time and turning in assignments.  I have a hands off approach with all of his online classes and college courses he is taking.  

So as I am preparing this next school year I am trying to decide whether with the courses that he does with me if I should continue to give him a weekly list of what he needs to cover or if I should lengthen it to 1/2 of a semester like around the 9 week mark.  This is hard for me because I have been wanting to drag out books and have him study a great broad range of subjects and I have a feeling he will focus on a few subjects at a time to complete them and then go on to the next.  Any thoughts as to what to do?  I am so tired of going back and forth on this.  I have read too many books lately and too many philosophies!  I fear my middle son will want more freedom to do this too and not sure if I am ready to let him go that direction or not.  

Decisions, decisions.  Thanks for your thoughts!

For the courses that DS and I do together, I make an Excel spreadsheet with a rough plan of materials and chapters/ lessons, leave some space for materials we might want to add, print the whole thing out in one page (or two pages if one page just won't do) and stick it on the fridge. I design it so that we have checkboxes for completed lessons. That way we both know what's covered and what's coming up and it's easy to make changes as we go along. Will something like that work for you and your DS? It's visually up there so you are giving him some control while also monitoring what is being done from day to day.