Menu

Give me some cruise advice, please!

SebastianCat

Frivolous topic.....because we typically take a (simple, mostly beach) vacation in September/October, and this time of year I tend to get antsy, watching everyone else's posts about their summer vacations on Facebook, etc...   I've been thinking about a cruise vacation for a few months now.

So, what do you consider to be the "best" cruise line?   Best experience?   Best value?    Best ports to visit?

We're talking about a family vacation (2 adults, 1 young teen, 1 tween) for most likely 4-7 nights, to the Bahamas or Caribbean.   We live in FL so we are within driving distance to Port Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and Tampa.   As far as I know, we have access to Disney, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Norwegian cruise lines (and I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one or two others).   

Any "worst" stories to share or things/places/ships to avoid?

Thanks!

Your budget may dictate your options.  Disney is a great line.  Their service was wonderful and they have stuff for the teen and tween to stay busy.  Mine were still to young to run the ship so I spent most of the time running back and forth to the kid's club and did not particularly enjoy that cruise.  That is the one and only cruise I have ever taken with my kids.  Now they cruise with my IL's and DH and I cruise alone (older kids would definitely have been easier).

I have cruised Norwegian and Carnival and they have their pros and cons.  If you have anyone in your group that has special dietary needs, Carnival is the way to go.  The anytime dining on Norwegian was a nightmare for my special needs (I never left hungry, but the wait was killer).  Assigned dining on Carnival gives you the same waiter and wait staff for dinner each day.  That means they have a chance to actually get to know your needs.  Our last guy was the best (he was assigned all the special diets).

I've been to Nassau, Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan, Costa Maya, Disney's private island, and Little Stirrup Cay (technically this is a Royal Caribbean island that they rent out to other lines).  If I never go to Nassau or Belize City again, I wouldn't be a sad person.  Both the private islands were just meh for me.  We are not big into beach time so lounging around isn't big for us and that and water sports are really all those had to offer.