Menu

Latin self-study: continue Oxford or switch to Cambridge?

My daughter just finished an online Latin I course through the local school, using Oxford Latin. It was a one semester block course, she pulled a high B, and liked it (could possibly have pulled an A with more attention to details related to the online course format). We had plans to continue next year in Latin II (10th grade) with them (especially as it was free), but some circumstances have arisen that may mean that isn't possible and I'm trying to come up with a backup plan.

For what will be primarily self-study, would it be better to switch to Cambridge with the independent learner's manual? We already own some 4th edition Cambridge materials, but not all, and we have none of the Oxford. I have read some concerns that the format of Oxford becomes tedious in book II. My husband has some facility with languages and some background in Latin, so would likely be her primary support, but she wouldn't have an experienced Latin teacher. I am researching course options, but due to finances (had not budgeted for the several courses we may now need to pay for) and it being relatively late in the year, I'm not sure we could find a good spot for 10th grade.

Since I am in the UK I can't get into the US Cambridge site but it appeared similar to what we have in the UK. The US site has a number of activities that can be used th make doing the books independently much easier. A friend here is using the site and owns none of the books. There is a fee in the US for the website but the teacher's guide etc for Cambridge is pricey so might work out cost effective.

Dd just went through the Cambridge books using the website as part of her study plan for the SAT 2. She found it helpful. We used a combo of Henle and Wheelocks for the majority of her Latin.

I don't know if this helps, but oldest DD was able to take herself through Book 2 of Cambridge Latin without any help. She got bogged down in Book 3, but I don't think we had the online resources at the time.

For what will be primarily self-study, would it be better to switch to Cambridge with the independent learner's manual? We already own some 4th edition Cambridge materials, but not all, and we have none of the Oxford. I have read some concerns that the format of Oxford becomes tedious in book II. My husband has some facility with languages and some background in Latin, so would likely be her primary support, but she wouldn't have an experienced Latin teacher. I am researching course options, but due to finances (had not budgeted for the several courses we may now need to pay for) and it being relatively late in the year, I'm not sure we could find a good spot for 10th grade.

What is the independent learner's manual?