Menu

Give me your Maui recommendations!

birchbark

DH and I will be going to HI later this summer to celebrate our 20th. We thought we would try Maui this time. We were there for a few hours last time and were able to see Iao Park and Mama's Fish House. Any other favorite attractions we should definitely not miss?

And what I'd really like are some lodging recommendations. We want something decent and romantic without spending top dollar. I have been searching the internet and looking at VRBO's with dated furniture and hefty cleaning fees til my eyes are crossing. Are there any hidden gems, a boutique hotel or a B&B, that stay under the radar? It would be nice to stay well under $200/night, including fees and taxes. Under $150 would be even better. We don't need a beach, but a pool would be nice.

And yes, we have the Maui Revealed book.

I think you'll struggle finding housing at your price point, especially in summer. We have had good luck with VRBO on the other islands.

I highly recommend a bike ride down the mountain. I can't remember the tour group, but the ride is completely downhill except for a brief up hill part at the end. Some in our group walked the bike up the hill, and we had lunch afterwards.

We found good deals at the Noelani. If you sign up to receive their emails, they'll send you the deals. Over Christmas a year or two ago, a one-bedroom on the ocean was going for $99 per night plus all the extras. Our unit had a bedroom in the back (not ocean), living room with pullouts (where we slept to hear the ocean), a washer/dryer and small kitchen with ocean views. The lanai was off the living room and not far from the ocean.

For lodging, look up Aila Nalu in Lahaina. I found it on vrbo. It is a large condo complex and has two pools. The units are all owned by different people, so the prices vary, but we thought it was reasonable. It is not on the beach, but is two blocks from the ocean and historic Front Street. We wanted to snorkel at different beaches everyday so we didn't care if our lodgings were on a beach.

Old Lahaina Luau (in Lahaina) was awesome! Spendy, but good food and fantastic show. I can't eat gluten and when I contacted them by e-mail, they sent me a listing of their foods and allergy information. They are popular, so it was recommended to me to make reservations in advance.

Road to Hana is beautiful. That will take you to the Seven Sacred Pools and also a beautiful hike through bamboo forest and other flora ending in a incredibly tall waterfall. Sorry, but I can't remember the name.

We drove up to Haleakala and that was awsome. Actually, my middle son and I went back a second day and hiked down into the crater. It's a little strenuous coming back out, because you are basically hiking uphill in sand.

We rented snorkeling gear and hit different beaches each day. I think it was $25/week/person at Maui Dive Shop.

The banyon tree (it takes up a whole block) on Front Street in Lahaina is really cool, especially early in the morning (like when it is still dark) because the sound of the birds is almost overwhelming. We took our coffee and sat and listened. Good times!

We did a great whale watching tour, but we were there in January, which is more of the season to do that.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Trilogy snorkel day trip Lanai. All six on our trip thought it was the best day. Several of our friends have gone and agree.

We stayed in a smaller condo complex near Kihei. It was the last one in the sugar beach area. It might have been Kihei beach resort.

We preferred to have our own snorkel gear which we bought at Costco. Not a big deal as one checked bag is gear.

This is one of the best restaurants I have ever dined at.

http://www.gerardsmaui.com/cms/index.php

There is a B&B associated with the restaurant.  It is called the Plantation Inn.  I spent only one night there, but it was lovely.  When we used to go to Maui (pre-kids, so a long time ago) we used to stay at Ka'anapali Beach -- I've stayed in both the Marriott and the Sheraton Black Rock,  at the far end.  I liked the Sheraton the best, because it was right up agains the rock and the snorkeling right off the hotel was good.  The last time I went I was pregnant with my older son,  and my husband and I promised each other we'd go back again within 5 years.  Alas, we didn't, and 16 years later I'm still dreaming about Maui.  Maybe one of my favorite places on earth.