Menu

Finnish Education

A friend posted this article on Facebook: http://fillingmymap.com/2015/04/15/11-ways-finlands-education-system-shows-us-that-less-is-more/

It's the story of an American Fullbright scholar who worked in a school in Finland. All the way through this article and several others on her blog, I kept thinking how very much like homeschooling the things she mentioned were, most especially the fact that they have the same teacher all through elementary school who knew each child very well.

• Like 4

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing. It does seem a lot like homeschooling in my house. Sometimes I panic a little thinking I'm not doing enough fast enough. I have to keep reminding myself that there is no race to try and teach my dc everything that's out there. 

I really liked the author's comments that the Finnish teachers were necessarily "super stars," rather they were ordinary people chosen for their interest/passion for teaching, invested in their students over years, and not under a lot of external pressures like testing, content requirements, large classes and long school days with no breaks. Again, sounding more and more like homeschooling.

Very interesting and thanks for posting it.

I do get tired of reading how wonderful Finland is. I tend to think outsiders are writing with rose-colored glasses. One thing that always bugs me is they say formal schooling begins at seven, as though our schools begin too early. However, from other articles I have read, many Finnish children attend preschool, and many of the children are reading before formal school begins, maybe because their language is highly phonetic, more so than English.

But this blogger did have some very interesting points.

• Like 1