Menu

What's your favorite curriculum so far this year?? Least favorite?

Stacey in MA

I always enjoy these types of threads.

I'll leave off my high schoolers and just share about the curricula for my two middlers and two littles.

DS 5th & DD 6th:

Hits

Noeo Chemistry II--This is a new field for them and they are lovin' the experiments!

WP AA1/SL 3 American History--I've combined these and added additional materials, so this is more my concoction than anything. So far, they love all the readers (both fiction and non-fiction) and read-alouds. Unfortunately, our text is another story. They especially enjoy the Native American Prayer Guide.

Hands and Hearts/Core of ReDiscovery Craft Kits--They are wild about making historically relevant crafts.

Artistic Pursuits--Actually, this is a hit with my son, but not my artistically gifted daughter. Bummer.

Hold That Thought United States Geography--They're finding out lots of interesting information.

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Like Just Fine

*They've used these since they were young, so these programs are "old hat".

Horizons Math

Language Arts Through Literature

A Reason for Handwriting

Dislikes

Story of The Thirteen Colonies by Guerber/Miller--I am substituting this for the Story of the US books scheduled early on in SL 3 (which I knew would be way below these dc reading/comprehension level). The readings are so short! Not a day has gone by without one of them asking some variation of "That's all?"

DD 2nd & DS K:

Hits

Language Lessons by Queen--DD is loving this. She is falling in love with Language Arts, and since the daily lessons are so very short, we often complete several days at a time--at her request!

Alphabet Island Phonics--Has been loved my all my kiddoes, and this DD and DS still love the songs and stories.

Five In A Row--Another that has been loved by all my kiddoes. They practically dance when it is FIAR time.

SL Readers

Horizons Math

A Reason for Handwriting

Come Look With Me Art apppreciation

American History--They are tagging along with their older sister and brother and enjoy coloring the Dover Historical coloring sheets, as well as listening to the D' Aulaire books I've added.

*So far, they are really enjoying everything. Hooray!

After completing our fifth week...

LOVE (Mom and boys):

Math U See (Returned to it and now there are no frustrations with math!)

CLP'S Nature Reader Series

Queen's Language Lesson Series

There have been no real dissapointments so far. The boys have never been crazy about narration and dictation, but I consider it a vital part of their English skills and have seen the benefits.

This is a fun post. I love reading what everyone is enjoying :D

Here is our list:

Likes (both mom and kids):

WP Quest for the Middle Ages

Artistic Pursuits

English from the roots up- I was surprised how much the kids enjoy this one

Moving with Math- ds he actually likes math now.

Teaching textbooks for dd

Science-WP human body

Mom's Likes,Kids just o.k.:

Reading Detective

Editor in chief

Word roots dd only

Writing Strands- kids are not sure about this one. We are giving it some more time.

6th grader-

Love-

Writing Tales 2

SL Core 5, especially the new Eastern Hemisphere Explorer

SL Science 5- this is our first year using SL science, Loving it!

MUS Zeta

Mom Loves Singapore challenging word problems and Lively Latin, but dd is just tolerating them.

K/1st grader

Love-

HWOT- WOW this program is excellent

ETC

MFW K

Jury is still out on Singapore Math. I may switch him over to MUS. He likes it well enough, but I'm not sure that I do.

No bombs this year!