Menu

Favorite Christian curriculum for people living outside the US? x-post

mazakaal

I'm gathering information to help overseas missionaries as they consider options for educating their children. I lived overseas for 14 years, so I know what I found useful. I loved downloadable pdf curriculum because I didn't have to pay for shipping. I leaned toward curricula that didn't depend on a good library nearby. I loved SOTW because of its focus on world history instead of focusing heavily on American history as many others do. But I'd love to hear from others as well. What materials have you found to be most useful while living outside the US?

Well, if you're looking at downloadable stuff, SWB's writing curriculum would qualify and it's excellent. 

I've really enjoyed the VP self-paced history which is accessible asynchronously. It's expensive but they run sales 2 -3 times a year. 

R & S English is just inexpensive, solid and easy to implement. Can be handed down from child to child. 

If they have residency in a state, they should see if their state has a free online option with classes. Florida, for example, has free AP classes and a full slate of elementary through high school classes. Starting in middle school, they can be selected by course rather than a full year's enrollment. 

I taught phonics and reading with homemade flashcards (I'm sure google will show the a site with all the phonograms) and the Christian Liberty Press readers which are inexpensive. 

Explode the Code is an excellent phonics and spelling supplement to readers that is now accessible by pdf, yes? I have the old-fashioned books. 

There is so much free online, it's hard to list it all here. For high school, there are MOOCs and things like Hillsdale College's free online courses/lectures. 

This is a start! 

Lisa

I was going to suggest AO as well.  It's the perfect curriculum for expats since almost all of its components are available online.  Math Mammoth is also good for that reason, along with RSO science.

Having said that, in the end you still just need to go with what works well with your teaching style and pay the extra baggage when needed  :closedeyes: .  It's better in the long run to use what you love instead of what is convenient.  I have had to re-buy so many curriculum components because I settled for what I could get used from other expats already there or downloadable online instead of getting what I really wanted in the beginning.

Now there are some I'd try to stay away from because of sheer bulk, namely Saxon math and BJU products.  They way too big and heavy to be worth bringing over, IMO.