Menu

Critical Thinking Co. Mathematical Reasoning

mohini

If you've used it, did you find it to be "on grade level" meaning that the topics covered were "the same" as other programs? I'm looking at it as a supplement for a strong (but not accelerated/ super mathy) student beginning grade 4 - trying to decide between levels E and F (4th and 5th.) He's a student who attends BM school and I need something that won't burn him out but will provide conceptual practice/ thinking and arithmetical review. I'm also considering just doing SM 4A with him but I'm worried it will be overload. This particular student wants to improve his math skills in order to compete for talent search and improve competition scores in some local/ school math contests but like I said, he's not particularly mathy to begin with - he is very driven though.

Also if anybody who's used CTC MR has any comments/ reviews they would be appreciated or any suggestions for other materials. 

I agree with SparkyUnicorn.  My son likes it.  It's something I can give him and he'll do on his own.  It's visually appealing meaning it's very colorful with lots of pictures.  We are only in grade 1 (I don't remember what level that is) though, so I don't know anything about E and F.  We don't do it often, and I'm using it as a review because my son is actually in SM 2.

I don't think it's rigorous.  Different, but not rigorous.  For competition, I'm looking into Zacarro and Borac only because many members on here seem to recommend them often enough. 

Hth.

• Like 1