Menu

for summer review, what next after Dolciani prealgebra

DS12 is gifted in understanding math. He just finished MM7a and I hope he will take the AOPS pre-alg online class in the fall. His age equivalent in broad math on his year end testing is >30 but his math calculation skill age equiv is 23. No surprise to me as he hasn't used a drill and kill curriculum BUT he needs to build up speed and competency in calculations. So I am having him do the classwork only, odd #'s in Dolciani pre-algebra. He is flying through it, doing 5 lessons a day and getting them correct. What next? Any input? I don't want to kill him with work he comprehends already. I just want to build his speed, accuracy, and calculating skills. Thanks for your input! We heard about Dolciani here and it has been a very inexpensive but helpful resource to cover the basics.

• Like 1

DS12 is gifted in understanding math. He just finished MM7a and I hope he will take the AOPS pre-alg online class in the fall. His age equivalent in broad math on his year end testing is >30 but his math calculation skill age equiv is 23. No surprise to me as he hasn't used a drill and kill curriculum BUT he needs to build up speed and competency in calculations. So I am having him do the classwork only, odd #'s in Dolciani pre-algebra. He is flying through it, doing 5 lessons a day and getting them correct. What next? Any input? I don't want to kill him with work he comprehends already. I just want to build his speed, accuracy, and calculating skills. Thanks for your input! We heard about Dolciani here and it has been a very inexpensive but helpful resource to cover the basics.

I haven't seen tests that give an age equivalent rather than a grade level. Do you know specifically what he missed on the test?

If he is doing the problems in Dolciani pre algebra and doing well you might go ahead and start him on the book for AOPS pre algebra. You might even consider if he's ready for the Intro to Algebra book. My older kids didn't do AoPS pre algebra because it hadn't been written yet.

• Like 1

I highly recommend starting him on TabletClass Pre-Algebra.  It is rigorous and excellent preparation for Algebra.  They are having their half off sale now as well.  That means you get the whole course for only $50.  My son did this prior to AoPS Intro to Algebra and he was very well prepared for AoPS.  We also own Dolciani as well.  I felt TabletClass offered a greater level of challenge which was just what he needed prior to AoPS.  We also supplemented with some AoPS pre-A sample problems and their videos which are excellent.  

If he is gifted, you may end up spending too much time on Pre-A with AoPS versus just finishing Pre-A with another program such as MM, Dolciani and TC.  Then let him move into the AoPS Intro to Algebra course.  You can always spend more time on Algebra itself if need be.  I wouldn't spend excessive time on Pre-A unless he is simply not getting it and struggling with the subject matter.

• Like 1