Menu

Questions about CLE LA and Learning to Read

Hi

I'm using these with my 6 year old for reading and LA.  She's so different from her older sister, who would've run screaming from all the writing--she likes workbooks!  And her ability to read is pretty much on par with her ability to write and spell (unlike my older who was reading chapter books at 5 but hated to put a pencil in her hand, much less spell--happy to report that now, by 3rd grade, things  have evened out a bit).  

Here's my question about these two curricula:  I notice in the Teacher's Guide it says to do part of the lesson in the morning and part in the afternoon (obviously written for a classroom setting).  It's too much to do in one go, and I'm also thinking about adding in WWE in the fall when she's technically in 1st grade.  I could do some of the vowel sound stuff orally, I could omit the part where I read a story and ask questions in favor of WWE.  Those of you that use CLE LA and LTR, what do you do?  I'm using CLE LA for my older (but not the reading part).  I did phonics with her when she was 4 and 5 and learning to read but it was oral, and I found that, although she was reading at about an 8th grade level in 1st grade, she had trouble translating it into spelling the words and any sort of phonics skills.  She's done MCP Phonics this year and now CLE LA and it's all sort of coming together.  But younger sister is definitely more of a traditional child, which is GREAT in lots of ways.  

I know this is sort of jumbled, but I guess it reflects the jumbled state of my brain! :)  My main question is about using LTR and LA (100) for my 6 year old and what I might eliminate/combine.  Or spread over days?  But then I wonder if I'm holding her back in reading and moving too slowly?  She's definitely not reading like her older sister, but part of the reason for that I know is that when my oldest was her age, I still enforced an afternoon rest/reading  time where she had to be quiet so youngest could nap.  They've been outside playing for hours today, and generally do, since no one needs a nap.  

I have done LtR with two of mine who are VERY different personalities and abilities.  One of them loved the little stories (at the beginning of each lesson) that introduced the new letter/sound and listened joyously. 

I skipped all the letter/sound stories with the other child.  Did not affect that child's progress in the program one little bit. ;)

As far as adding in WWE, it really would depend on your child's ability to do all of the writing in LtR, more writing in WWE, possibly more pencil/paper work in math, possibly any writing in history or science...that's a LOT of writing for a 6 year old. 

I have done LtR with two of mine who are VERY different personalities and abilities.  One of them loved the little stories (at the beginning of each lesson) that introduced the new letter/sound and listened joyously. 

I skipped all the letter/sound stories with the other child.  Did not affect that child's progress in the program one little bit. ;)

As far as adding in WWE, it really would depend on your child's ability to do all of the writing in LtR, more writing in WWE, possibly more pencil/paper work in math, possibly any writing in history or science...that's a LOT of writing for a 6 year old. 

That's what I'm worried about.  And I'm doing CLE LA too...I like the narration aspect of WWE.  With my oldest one, when I did WWE, the most I could ever get out of her was the copywork (grudgingly).  I could obviously do narration with other subjects but I haven't been very good at making that happen.  There isn't a writing component of CLE LA and LTR of which I am aware.  Just because she's not entirely pencil-phobic as was my oldest I don't want to overwhelm her either!  Decisions decisions...

CLE LA does include writing (very simple). LTR includes copywork. We often do a half lesson in LTR, it is a lot :). I wouldn't add in WWE. All you're missing are narrations, really. Do you read aloud? Just do it then :).

I do read aloud.  Perhaps I should mindfully discipline myself to do narrations and see how it goes. 

• Like 1