Menu

Best Read-Aloud Chapter Books for Kindergarten (or other read-alouds)

mommysanders

I've had this book on the shelf for a long time, but never thought it was a K level read aloud.  My husband started it last night and I have high hopes.

It starts a bit slow.  Give it a few chapters.  And the chapters are long and may need to be broken up. :)

Not specific to K, but have any of you used MENSA for Kids Excellence in Reading K-3 Reading List?

We've read most of the books on the list and will likely read more.  It's a good list - a lot of overlap with other book lists.  I have it on my site which shows how it overlaps with other popular book lists including some homeschool curriculum and award winners.

http://www.wellreadkid.com/mensa-for-kids-excellence-in-reading-grades-k-3/

Not specific to K, but have any of you used MENSA for Kids Excellence in Reading K-3 Reading List?

Yes, ds loved every book except Shiloh. When he was done we sent in the reading log form and they sent him a certificate and tshirt. He is very proud of that shirt! We didn't know if he would qualify for the shirt since we live in Canada, but they sent it here. Yay! In any case, it is a great reading list.

Yes, ds loved every book except Shiloh. When he was done we sent in the reading log form and they sent him a certificate and tshirt. He is very proud of that shirt! We didn't know if he would qualify for the shirt since we live in Canada, but they sent it here. Yay! In any case, it is a great reading list.

Having grown up in rural WV only a few towns away from Friendly, Shiloh is a must.  However, I must admit that this is not a favorite book of mine either.  Perhaps because we heard this story over and over as kids.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to add two series that I think are unknown to US readers.

The Claude series by Alex Smith has illustrations on every page in 2-3 colors. It's quirky and printed on heavy, glossy paper.

Johnny Duddle has a Jolly Rogers series (only 2 so far) that is a follow up to his picture book The Pirates Next Door. Every page has beautiful black and white illustrations and it is also printed on heavy, glossy paper.

Both of these are English, so there are some Britishisms. It is a real pleasure to handle the books as they are not cheap reprints! They are like the mercy Watson books. You can always find British books on thebookdepository.com with free shipping!

• Like 1