Menu

Live Online Math for pre algebra and algebra Thoughts??

My DD2 (now 14 and in 9th grade) took Pre-Pre-Alg and Pre-Alg with LOM/Mr. Bovey in 6th & 7th grade. She went on to PS for 8th grade and subsequently has done very well in Algebra & Geometry. LOM was quite rigorous. Mr. Bovey is a talented teacher & he leverages the technology to maximum benefit. I would say his classes are quite rigorous, possibly even honors level.

• Like 2

We are using LiveOnlineMath's Pre-Algebra right now, although we are only using the video option (so no live component.) My son is only about a month into it, but so far I am very happy with it.

I really like the format of the course-- a very nicely-done lecture video, then a practice problem or two to get started. The assignment then comes from a textbook, and the problems come from several different pages of the book, for sort of a spiral mix of problems. I love that! Then there is a PDF answer sheet to print for each assignment, with every problem worked out. This is written out by hand, not typed, so it looks like a real assignment page. I love this, too-- my son doesn't always want or know how to show his work properly, so it has been really helpful to have all of the solutions neatly worked out so that I can point out how it is supposed to be done. This would also be great for self-grading, but we are not quite ready for that yet.

There is also the "infinite math" part of the program, which is a problem generator that will generate a ton of different practice problems/solutions/helpful hints for each topic. This extra practice is optional, but very nice to have.

I think that we will continue with John Bovey's courses through Algebra 2. I am not sure if we will choose the video-based option or the live option next time for Algebra-- that will depend on our schedule and finances.

I am glad that fourisenough thinks that the classes were rigourous-- unfortunately, I don't feel that I know enough about math to judge rigor, and I've wondered what others would say.

• Like 1

Did you see the video samples on the site?

http://liveonlinemath.com/video_courses/video_samples.html

And a few snippets from the live classes:

http://liveonlinemath.com/classes/whats_a_live_session_like.html

I don't know of anything other than those, although you can also request a free two-week trial to check out all of the lectures. :)