Menu

Blue Tent approach similar to IEW?

So I have never used IEW, but my understanding is that it is formulaic in the sense that you are required to use a certain number of adjectives or action verbs or similes, etc.  (Feel free to correct me if I'm off base.)  In reading over the prompt for placement Blue Tent's English 1 or 2, it feels the same way to me.  Those of you who have experience with Blue Tent, would you say this reflects their approach to teaching writing?  We come from a Bravewriter approach that focuses more on writer's voice.  Thanks!  Still trying to decide between WTMA or Blue Tent for my senior for next year.

Ashley

What you describe are the dress-ups required and taught by IEW at the elementary/middle school level.  I am bringing attention to those wordw because there have been numerous posts throughout the years about IEW and formulaic writing.  At the high school level, students have learned dress-ups, etc. and moved past style requirements.  So, IEW high school curriculum includes:  The Elegant Essay, Windows to the World, Speech Boot Camp, Essay Intensive, and Excellence in Literature.  Of course, high school students who have had little writing experience may need to use Level C material which teaches dress-ups, etc., but the high school products I mentioned are not going to be focused on formulaic writing.  However, they do teach specific structure.  Bravewriter also teaches structure in high school courses like Expository Essay and SAT/ACT writing.

• Like 2