Menu

Lets talk language arts!

veryblessed6x

Ok...so I need help. And you are all so smart :)

I have an 8 year old and 10 year old. All we've done this year for language arts is:

Abeka Language 3 book...which we all really enjoy.

Abeka cursive 1 book

Apples and Pears Spelling

Reading (whatever books I can get them to read)

We've done the 1st 3 units of E.I.W

I don't think this is enough...it seems very lacking. I tried using FLL and WWE a couple years ago, but didn't really "get it" and found it took a long time. However, now that I've been at this homeschooling thing now for a couple years I think I see the benefits of those programs. 

If I were to do FLL and WWE next year, which level would I start with and what else would I need to add in for a complete language arts curriculum? Or should I just keep doing what I am? Thanks so much!!

What exactly seems "lacking" to you? What jumps out at me is you are using a 3rd grade book with a 4th or 5th grader, which may be part of why it feels too light. Could you jump to Abeka's 5th grade book instead, and maybe that would fit your needs? If you did that, your list could look like:

Abeka Language B

Abeka Penmanship Mastery

Apples & Pears

Reading (good books, etc)

some kind of vocabulary program (English from the Roots Up, Caesar's English, etc)

I'm not sure how thoroughly Abeka teaches writing, but we had success with Treasured Conversations, which both your kids could do together, if they need more instruction.

If you were to do FLL and WWE, I recommend the WWE Complete Writer text or WWE3 and FLL4. The text provides the introductory levels at a faster pace than the level 1 and 2 workbooks, but gives you a feel for the program. You can just do the examples and get through levels 1-4 in a year.

• Like 1

What exactly seems "lacking" to you? What jumps out at me is you are using a 3rd grade book with a 4th or 5th grader, which may be part of why it feels too light. Could you jump to Abeka's 5th grade book instead, and maybe that would fit your needs? If you did that, your list could look like:

Abeka Language B

Abeka Penmanship Mastery

Apples & Pears

Reading (good books, etc)

some kind of vocabulary program (English from the Roots Up, Caesar's English, etc)

I'm not sure how thoroughly Abeka teaches writing, but we had success with Treasured Conversations, which both your kids could do together, if they need more instruction.

If you were to do FLL and WWE, I recommend the WWE Complete Writer text or WWE3 and FLL4. The text provides the introductory levels at a faster pace than the level 1 and 2 workbooks, but gives you a feel for the program. You can just do the examples and get through levels 1-4 in a year.

You're probably right about the Abeka 3. They're in grades 3 and 4 right now, but it does seem quite simple. I wonder if it would be too challenging to just jump to level 5. Maybe we could start level 4 over the summer first....?

I'll look into vacab programs and treasured conversations! Thanks so much!

The only thing that seems 'light' to me maybe is the amount of reading and related exercises, only because you said whatever you can get them to read. Of course, i don't know what sort of reading you are doing for other subjects… But in my planning for LA, if we go with Abeka Language 3, I will most likely be adding some good books to our curriculum and narration exercises from our history readings. 

Well language arts is normally grammar, writing, spelling and reading so it looks like you have all of those bases covered. If it is not challenging them enough I would second the idea of moving them up. I don't know how EIW works but do you normally go through all 3 units in a year? Do you feel like you guys aren't getting enough work done, are they bored with the work? Are you looking for different curriculum or to stay with what you are doing?