Menu

World History/Literature/English for 9th Grade - summary

This is my tentative plan for 9th Grade:

I have been reviewing different curriculums for the past few days, and I've come up with a tentative hybrid plan for 9th grade. I was considering MFW, Odyssey, Biblioplan. I would appreciate critiques and suggestions. Perhaps, I need to tweak the MFW and Biblioplan and add/subtract. This would mean I'd need to come up with my own yearly schedule or is that too ambitious?  Here is the tentative plan....

Bible –

Read through a portion of the Old Testament

Assign Weekly Memory work – undecided about how much

More Than a Carpenter

Christianity, Cults & Religions

Four Views of the End Times

Experiencing God: Student Edition – does this already have accompanying questions and answers?

The Gospel of Mark: Max Lucado -

The Gospel of John

Literature – (simply for reading and summarizing)

Cry, the Beloved Country

The Hiding Place

Song of Roland

My Father's Daughter

Travel's of Marco Polo (tentative)

Alas, Babylon

The Last True Spartan (tentative)

Literature – (for deeper study and discussions)

Julius Caesar (Shakespeare Made Easy: Modern English Version Side-by-Side with Full Original Text) - watch a Julius Caesar film

Another Shakespeare piece?

Beowulf (translated by Seamus Heaney) with Bookrags guide - is there a film?

British Literature (Parallel Text) with accompanying Teacher Guide for British Literature

Pilgrim's Progress in Modern English

A Tale of Two Cities (abridged edition) -with study guide from Bookrags

Pride and Prejudice - with Bookrags study guide - watch a film also

Sir Gawain - with guide

Odyssey - with study guide from Bookrags

Animal Farm -with study guide from Bookrags

History –

Notgrass World History Books with Study Guides  (spine)

Kingfisher pages supplementary– this would be a review mostly

Famous men of Rome

Greenleaf Guide to Famous Men of Rome

Rats, Bulls & Flying Machines: A History of the Renaissance & Reformation (supplement/tentative)

Supplement with audible.com Great Courses, as well

Geography –

World History Map Activities

Rand McNally Historical Atlas of the World

Additional –

Have people found the timeline and historical figures sold through MFW really helpful?  

Writing -

Tentatively thinking of using Writer's Jungle??

Vocab -

Abeka Vocab Spelling Poetry

Grammar -

Do we continue grammar for High School??  She'll have completed through 8th grade Rod and Staff

Hi!

I am not one to give you advice on a humanities plan...although I will say that it seems like a lot to me. Hopefully, someone else who is more confident in their ability to critique such a plan will help you. As far as your grammar question, I think that will depend upon the student. With my older son, I did a semester of advanced grammar with him during his freshman year (picking and choosing from Warriner's Complete Course). He did not need anymore than that. My younger son, however, will need more grammar in high school. I will probably do a full program (such as Analytical Grammar) with him. 

Now...having looked through your plan, I see that you have "online study guide" listed for Pride and Prejudice. Can you provide a link to what you plan to use? Sounds interesting! :-)

Good luck with your first year of high school!

Hi!  Thanks for your advice!  

Many of the items above are from MFW and then I dropped some of their items and added some others.  But, the confusing thing is that MFW gives three credits: Bible, History, and English.  I guess I dropped some of their Bible books, but not all of them, so I'm not sure if that's good or not because she's almost be doing 1/2 credit worth of Bible by reading all the books. 

My dd does o.k. on grammar. I'll check out the Warriner's Complete Course book.  I had made a note of it elsewhere.  Must be good!

For the Pride and Prejudice, I was thinking of using all the downloads from Bookrags for guides. I'm not sure if they are suitable or not? I should go and modify that above to make it more clear.