Menu

Typing instuction for 9yr old??

emeraldjoy

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for teaching a 4th grader to type? Is this an appropirate age? Any favorite programs?

Thanks so much for your time,

e

If you don't mind the theme, ds here have enjoyed a sponge bob typing program that I got through Amazon. It cost less than $10 and has been great with typing drills, games, etc. My 9 yo is really proficient now.

It has the sponge bob characters but not the more marginal themes that bug me about the tv show.

We used this when my daughter was 8 http://www.goodtyping.com

It is free and there is a demo you can look at before registering. After all 27 lessons are mastered you can choose to pay for additional lessons. We found this unnecessary.

My 8 yr old son needed more fun and so we used dance mat with him. http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing

He is 9 now and still using it. He has not progressed as rapidly as my daughter did but is making steady progress.

I think 8-9 is the perfect age to start. It helps take the frustration out of rewriting writing assignments which start to get much longer at this age.

I second the recommendation for Typing Instructor. All of my children have used it, beginning at different ages. Currently, my 5yo loves it--she has been working on the first two lessons. Her favorite part is choosing different music for the background. (In full disclosure, we don't do a lot with video and computer games, so this is quite exciting for her.)