Menu

Anyone in Fort Meyers, FL area?

SeaConquest

My parents are thinking about buying at Miromar Lakes near Fort Meyers. What can you tell me about the area? Weather, bugs, activities for an active older couple relocating from the Pacific Northwest? Thanks!

I have family that have lived there for 20 years. I'm sure locals will join in but I'll answer what I know based on numerous trips and family in the area:

weather -- HOT. 11 1/2 months of the year. Actually, the winter can be really nice but summer is downright hot. And I'm a Florida born and bred girl. I feel like I'm baking walking from my car into Publix. But I've always felt that about South Florida. 

bugs -- Well, Florida has lots of bugs. Definitely mosquitos and at times there are no-seeums. I don't think the no-seeums are as bad inland as they can be on the coast. 

activities for older folks -- Fort Meyers is your place! During the season (Thanksgiving - Easter), Ft Myers has an influx of folks wintering in Florida. Plenty of shopping, arts, beaches/parks, restaurants. 

Lisa

I live a couple hours north of Ft Myers, so I can't comment specifically on activities, but the weather will be 90-95 degrees from March/April through November, and 90+% humidity from May through December. If you compare living in a coastal area to places further inland, the temperature is actually milder. Places further inland like Orlando, Tallahassee, or Atlanta get 5-10 degrees hotter in the summertime, while coastal areas have a sea breeze that keeps the temps more constant.

The weather does take some getting used to, just like it would take me a long time to acclimate to a snowy climate, but once you've lived through a Florida winter, you'll never want to move further north.