Menu

Latin Progression

momacacia

Okay, I know you've all already been through this before....

I'd like dd to have the option for things like NLE, Latin AP or subject tests, etc., if she's so inclined.

Does this sound like a good Latin progression?

5th: GSWL

6th: Lively Latin Big Book 1

7th/8th: Lively Latin Big Book 2

9th: Lukeion Wheelocks or Henle or some such curriculum (hopefully online/fairly independent ;))

Or should I just jump right into Lively Latin Book 1 and forget GSWL? She's just in the beginning of it and right now we do 4-5 lessons a week.

I will give you a bump. I am planning a similar progression, but cannot speak to the soundness of the plan.

After we finish SSL 1 & 2, I am planning to do Minimus 1 and 2 with GSWL, then LL 1 and 2 or Latin Prep, followed by either Lukeion (Wheelock's) or the Harvey Center (Latin for the New Millennium) for upper level. 

My two cents:  *if* you are planning to eventually use a high school program to complete "Latin I" and you are interested in maximizing efficiency, here is how I'd approach it:  figure out when you want to start a high school program (could be 9th, could be 6th-ish or in between; what is workable depends on the program).  Then do GSWL right before that for an intro/getting-feet-wet.

For sake of efficiency, I'd consider an upper-elementary or middle-school-level program only to the extent that it will *take the place of* Latin I (assuming that will take more than one year of study at that age regardless of program).  High school programs like Wheelock's, Henle and LNM assume no prior instruction.  While some prior intro is helpful and I love GSWL for this purpose, I don't think drawn-out years are necessary prior to starting Latin I.  Others seem to prefer that approach, probably to ease the first year of high-school-level study.

When I was homeschooling my dd, she did GSWL followed by Henle.  We were only about a third of the way through when she returned to B&M school.  Three years later, she doesn't remember much, of course.  She plans to run through GSWL quickly this summer before starting Latin I at B&M high school (they use Cambridge).

• Like 1

My two cents:  *if* you are planning to eventually use a high school program to complete "Latin I" and you are interested in maximizing efficiency, here is how I'd approach it:  figure out when you want to start a high school program (could be 9th, could be 6th-ish or in between; what is workable depends on the program).  Then do GSWL right before that for an intro/getting-feet-wet.

This is really interesting and helpful. I love the looks of Lively Latin (fun! activities!) and the gentle grammar coverage, but we are going to start filling in where we are with R&S 6 English. :-/

It sounds like Lively Latin (close to 3 years of it, it seems) just might be overkill, other than trying to get dd to think Latin can be enjoyable and colorful. :) Hmmmmm. Thank you!