Menu

Dry and frizzy hair

Help! I'm tired of my frizzy head.

My scalp is pretty oily, but my hair, for as long as I can remember, has seemed dry. Thin and mostly straight with a touch of wave to it...and frizzy. It looks like many of the hairs have broken. Different conditioners haven't seemed to help.

I've tried two different anti-friz serums (Fructis Sleek and Shine and another I can't recall) and I think it's just too much for my fine hair - it looks and feels like I'm putting grease on my head :001_huh: :lol: -- then when it dries my hair is STILL poofing out.

Has anyone found something they love, particularly someone with hair on the straight-ish, fine side? TIA!

Have you tried wrapping your hair in an old t-shirt after showers instead of a towel. The fibers on towels aren't great for frizz prone hair. It is at least a start. I had a friend who has hair that sounds like yours, she went the straightening route as well. She loves it, kind of changed her life! :)

Have you tried wrapping your hair in an old t-shirt after showers instead of a towel. The fibers on towels aren't great for frizz prone hair. It is at least a start. I had a friend who has hair that sounds like yours, she went the straightening route as well. She loves it, kind of changed her life! :)

Oh good, I just started doing this about 2 weeks ago. I hope it helps! I haven't seen an improvement yet, but I'm hoping to as the hair grows out.

Would the professional straightenings look like what happens when you take a straightening iron to your hair? I'm thinking I want to try something NOT permanent first. Although I think I would miss what little wave I have - it helps my long thin face look not so long and thin. :tongue_smilie:

Professional straighteners (PS) are like a flat iron (and a flat iron used with Str8t...) - only if you have frizzy hair (like mine) you can never achieve the totally flat effect, nor get the shine that comes with a PS. You probably know that frizzy hair actually has scales that pop up on the shaft. PS flatten the scales down and seal them into a smooth shaft.

With a PS, your hair is coated with a solution and combed straight over and over. There is a waiting period, then it is rinsed. After the rinse a coating is put over the hair that seals each hair shaft so it is smooth. During the process, your hair dried and and further sealed with a professional hot iron (that gets up to 350 degrees for truly stubborn or ethnic hair). You will probably be told not to shampoo for three days so the seal can "harden". Your cut will probably be drastically different from what you've had done to tame your frizzies! I freaked when mine was cut because I was not use to layers of any sort (they popped out with frizz). I now love having long layers:) After it is done, you can style your hair with rollers, curling irons and you can use your favorite products.

The reason for the expense is that two colors and numerous cuts can be done during the time of one PS. If you can, try to get someone on a really down day, someone that is new, or someone to do it outside a salon that may have stylists meet specific client or $$$ numbers per day.

Once you get it done, you will be able to "realize" those that have also had it done. There is a "look" to it. It's a quietly shared secret...:)

I you rinse your hair with apple cider vinager it restores the normal oil level to your hair. It makes it shiner and sleeker. LOL no you wont smell like vinegar either. Use about a 1/4 cup. pour it on your hair and let it sit for a minute. Then rinse. The shower will stink but as long as you rinse it out well then you wont smell like a pickle! :)

I have done this to my hair once a month for a few years and it makes a huge difference. Good luck

My hair is naturally wavy, and *very* frizzy, yet fine-textured. I tried the fructis anti-frizz serum, and I found that it actually made my hair seem drier, and even more frizzy. Now I use Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, and it's *the bomb*!! It only takes a tiny bit, so a $15 bottle lasts for months. I also use a flat iron I bought at Sally Beauty Supply. It has a variable heat control. Because my hair is so wavy, I use the highest setting - 450 degrees. My hair does not talk back after.