Menu

Wonky ankle/foot

3in9th

Over a year ago I had a double stress fracture in my ankle. It healed and seemed to be better and then got wonky again (but not as bad as with the break). Ultrasound showed no new fracture, so went in for an MRI. There was fluid in my ankle and a cyst (fluid-filled?) on the top of my foot.

Now, it inexplicably flares up. It seems, however, to be correlated to my cycle. I'm fine from the day before I start until about a week after I ovulate. Started bugging me again this month on cd 22. From hormonal charts, this is when my progesterone is on a high plateau. I know that progesterone helps loosen the joints for childbearing, so I'm wondering if this is happening with my ankle/foot just when my progesterone is at a peak.

Does anyone have any insight? Is there any remedy? Orthopedic guy just recommended PT...

I know that when I was pregnant, my ankles started collapsing and I do remember the PT mentioning something about hormone levels contributing to the ligaments loosening up (I think, it has been 10 years so I don't remember it very clearly), so I think it may be worth investigating.