Menu

ATB dry with too many facts?

crl

I have the America the Beautiful set from Notgrass for DD. She is currently in 6th grade and looking to use this in 7th grade. I had her look at a few lessons over the course of a few days. She thought the lessons were dry and had too many facts. She really enjoys things like SOTW and even MOH which are more of a story format. Has anyone else felt this way? Is this just what happens when you move away from elementary and into high school? Please share your thoughts or experiences.

I felt the same as your daughter about ATB.  I borrowed it from a friend to look it over and was bummed to find that it just seemed fact-based and lacked an interesting story line.  It also seemed "snippety" in its presentation like it lacked depth and fleshing out of topics.  That is probably due to it being more of an overview, but it just wasn't what I was looking for.  I actually borrowed it a second time hoping I'd come at it with fresh eyes and I just couldn't get into it.  I am finding the Hakim history books to be interesting in their presentation.

• Like 1

Wildwood - I'm glad to hear that someone else has felt the same way.

I understand that some really love this curriculum. And I was excited to have an affordable, well reviewed option for next year. Unfortunately, we've come from a lit based curriculum, so this felt too much like a textbook. I was hoping to find a way to spice it up some.