Menu

problem-based homeschooling

Hello!  I'm wondering if anyone here has done "problem-based homeschooling" before?  When we had the kids assessed, it was suggested that we read the book by Sheila Gallagher from RFWP about it.  I've read most of it, and I'm pretty clear that I need a little hand-holding to get started.  I'd like to do it mostly with my almost-7yo, so the curricula that RFWP has is too advanced for her.  The Gallagher book suggests looking at William & Mary's curriculum, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where one would actually buy that.  They link to Kendall Hunt, but then I can't find more than a catalouge.

Has anyone barked up this tree before?  Is there a good, homeschool-budget-friendly way to find these project curricula?

Thanks!

Anabel

I've heard Gallagher speak on this subject and remember her recommending William and Mary's curriculum and a few other things. When I started to dig up the resources she mentioned I found them to be dated. I'm the type that likes curriculum to be a little "slick." Maybe a little professional. Gallagher's recommendations (for example, science c. 1975) seemed a little impracticable. With that said, I think the type of "problem-based" exercises RFWP has on offer could be done oneself and adapted for age. For example, I intend to study American History with my 1st grader this year and we will most likely work/talk through several "problem-based" scenarios linked to our history reading and modeled on Gallagher's RFWP offerings.

Maybe try bie.org, a company that exists to promote PBL. They have an elem implementation book I haven't read but I assume will be how to DIY. If you're interested in STEM, engineering in elementary programs by Boston museum(?) has unit studies presented as problems to solve.

• Like 1