Menu

FUN first readers?

myfatherslily

My DD is just beginning to read. We recently got Hop on Pop and she was thrilled to have it. But of course, there are alot of words in it that she doesn't know how to read yet, like "house", for example. She's not totally thrilled about reading time so we made a sticker chart. She gets one sticker for each lesson and at the end of a section, I'll give her a book prize (she's highly motivated by sticker charts...). What other books might be as fun as Hop on Pop? Something that is colorful and childish, that she might read to herself at naptime for the pure enjoyment of it. Not Bob books or other little books like that. They don't necessarily have to be ALL words on her reading level, but very close would be nice!

The first prize/book would be for Section 3, which is short vowels.

My dd4 also loved reading Hop on Pop when she first started out.

Here are some other fun books we have read that use rhyming, repetition, etc. Most of these a little more advanced than Hop on Pop but I think they are still considered beginning readers:

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss

The Hair Book by Graham Tether

Snow by Roy McKie

A Fly Went By by Mike McClintock

I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words by Michael Frith

Put me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire

Jack and Jill and Big Dog Bill by Martha Weston

Go Dog, Go! by Phillip Eastman

Are You My Mother? by Phillip Eastman

More Spaghetti, I Say! by Rita Golden Gelman

Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox

Of these I think Jack and Jill and Big Dog Bill is probably the closest to the level she's at right now. Then maybe Put Me in the Zoo. Have fun! My dd4 loved sticker charts too. :001_smile:

Hurray on having an excited young reader! : ) Here are some more fun very early readers:

- Cat Traps (Coxe) -- Step into Reading Step 1

- Hot Dog (Coxe) -- Step into Reading Step 1

- Big Egg (Coxe) -- Step into Reading Step 1

- Hog and Dog (Landof) -- Step into Reading Step 1

- ABEKA: Little Owl reader set of short books

And you might check some of the other "step 1" stepped reader series such as Hello Reader, I Can Read, All Aboard Reading, DK Readers. Your library will likely have some of these.

The following are from Modern Curriculum Press and come as a 10 book set for $26 from Lamppost Publishing (http://www.lamppostpublishing.com/mcp-phonics-practice-readers-a.htm) -- my boys enjoyed these as early readers:

- Max, Sam and Al

- Six Kids

- Jim Wins

- Gus

- Fun With Gum

- Hop On Hop Off

- Hot Rods

- Red Hen

- Jet Bed

We enjoyed the readers with Primary Phonics. They have five or six levels each with ten storybooks in the set. They are published by the same company that publishes ETC. They are not colorful, but very effective in building reading confidence.

:iagree: We have loads of early readers in this house and these are by far my favorite. They are high-interest for young children and carefully graded.