Menu

Talk to me about MCT... coming from CLE LA for grammar.

AimeeM

DD is doing CLE's diagramming supplement/worktext and doing beautifully with it - she really enjoys it. I think it appeals to her visual learning preference ;)

She does NOT care for CLE's grammar. She does okay with it, but she dislikes it. I think she's just OVER cle in general, as we've been using it for math for the last few years. She's requested to finish Algebra with AOPS instead, for example - she's just "over" CLE.

I think MCT's voyage level would work well for her, but I'm not convinced. I think it, like diagramming, would appeal to her visual learning style. I would use Voyage level for her, even though she's heading into grade 8, because her language arts skills are "behind" (dyslexic). She reads very well, but mechanics, grammar, writing, etc are a couple levels behind. 

Would the 4-Level Analysis in MCT be too difficult for her to come into from "regular diagramming"? Would Voyage level be too easy for her after finishing about half of CLE's grade 6 language arts (just the grammar portion)? Should I start with Town level, since she's never used the program, or anything like it, before?

I don't know the answers to everything you've asked (we've never used CLE and we're just finishing up MCT Town now), but I just wanted to share one tidbit.

I've taught DD both MCT's 4-level analysis and traditional sentence diagramming. DD prefers diagramming to MCT's 4-level analysis. In my opinion, either method works to help her identify and analyze grammatical structures so we have been using the sentences in the MCT practice books as diagramming practice. 

I don't know the answers to everything you've asked (we've never used CLE and we're just finishing up MCT Town now), but I just wanted to share one tidbit.

I've taught DD both MCT's 4-level analysis and traditional sentence diagramming. DD prefers diagramming to MCT's 4-level analysis. In my opinion, either method works to help her identify and analyze grammatical structures so we have been using the sentences in the MCT practice books as diagramming practice. 

Well that's good to know! She really likes diagramming, lol (I'm laughing because this is a child who never likes anything language arts related, but could suddenly spend all day with that diagramming book).