Menu

Can I get some reviews on winter promise's language arts program?

I'm searching for a new phonics program for my struggling ds7. I think I could put him in the fast track level since he is reading, struggling though, long vowel words. I'm really not sure though so I thought I'd ask for reviews from people who have used this before. There is something else called The GeoSafari Phonics Pad do I really need it? This alone is $140 which I cannot afford. If I really need to use this as well I'll have to look into something else. Thanks so much!

I'm searching for a new phonics program for my struggling ds7. I think I could put him in the fast track level since he is reading, struggling though, long vowel words. I'm really not sure though so I thought I'd ask for reviews from people who have used this before. There is something else called The GeoSafari Phonics Pad do I really need it? This alone is $140 which I cannot afford. If I really need to use this as well I'll have to look into something else. Thanks so much!

I am using WP LA with three of my dc. First off the GeoSafari Phonics Pad is not necessary. I bought it and my dc hardly ever even use it. It is just for re-enforcement of what was learned...but not required.

So far I am liking WinterPromises LA. We are using the Accelerated K program. So far we have used this for six weeks. WinterPromise uses vertical phonics and at first I was very skeptical that my dc would be able to remember all the different sounds that the letters make. So far they are surprised me and been able to learn all the letter sounds I have introduced. They are also doing great with the ETC books included.

Many people say that WinterPromises LA programs are advanced so you might take that into consideration. Their Advanced K program does things that many other LA programs do in 1st grade. That is why I am doing the accelerated K program with my ds (7)...the accelerated k program is their pre-k/k basic phonics and advanced k put together. I figured it would give him a review of the vertical phonics in the first half of the program...and then the second half of the program would be what other LA traditionally did in 1st grade.

My only problem so far is that my dc do seem to have a hard time understanding when to use the first or second (or even third) sound of a word when they are trying to read. I keep reminding them that if there is a "e" on the end of the word the vowel uses it's second sound (long). We just started this so hopefully things get better.

Im not sure if this helped at all or not:tongue_smilie:...but this is my experience with WP LA

I can't help you with the WP Learning to Read Phonics, because I taught my son to read using another curriculum before I found out about WP. We have used all of LA1 (we had been half way through another first grade LA before starting it... yes, it's way advanced). Now we are eight weeks into LA2. We have studied phonics both years, using ETC6 for LA1 and now CLP's Adventures in Phonics C for LA2.

I have heard that Fast Track is like the second half of Adv K (which parallels many first grade programs). So if he's midway on typical first grade phonics Fast Track may do the trick. Have you looked at the placement evaluation guide on the WP website?

http://www.winterpromise.com/pdfs/lape.pdf

As far as the LA program itself, I am pretty happy with it. I am supplementing the writing instruction just a touch, because I'm leery about making sure my ds is plenty strong in that area and it's a weak point for him. (we are currently using Write About Me from EPS just on an as desired basis). The LA is very solid, traditional workbook based instruction. The grammar introduction is gentle, the spelling is related to the phonics, and the readers are a lot of fun. I love that it includes a reading comprehension or vocab workbook as well.

I plan to try the PreK-Basic K Phonics LA next year when Andrew is 5.