Menu

Has anyone seen or used the history textbook "The Western Heritage"

by Donald Hagen? I have the sixth edition second volume that my oldest son used for an AP online class that I'm thinking of using with another son who is a senior this year. It does look quite interesting and not too dry but how does it compare to Spievogel and other history textbooks? The author's profile that I found online sounds intriguing, Kragen's being a historian that applies the lessons of the ancient warfare to modern warfare. Also, it will mean that I will have to read the book in order to be able to discuss the chapter questions with my ds but I can't afford the latest version which would come with its own website. I think I can manage that. If not, I might just go with the Streams of Civil. vol. 2 that comes with an answer key even though it's so dry.

I like the writing style of Kagen so I'll go with the Western Heritage textbook. And the links look marvelous! I've bookmarked them. Thanks! And it's good to know that Logos and New Saint Andrews prefer it to Spievogel. Hmmm, interesting. I did read a review on a textbook website that said the Spielvogel was weak in his treatment of the history of communism.