Menu

Rosetta Stone Homeschool Edition Question

Hello!

I'm considering getting the Rosetta Stone Homeschool Edition Level 1-3 for German from the Homeschool co-op, but I'm wondering if anybody has used it with kids ages 10 & 7? Will it be interesting for them or is it geared more towrds older kids/adults? I don't want to spend that kind of money if it would be boring for kids to use, but I haven't really found anything good that's made for kids in that age group...

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have it.  I don't recommend it.  The worksheets are an afterthought.  They don't line up all that well with the video instruction.  I feel the program is best for high school and up and with someone highly motivated.  It's just not enough alone though.  There is no direct grammar instruction.  One of mine got through two levels before really being completely and utterly lost.  We gave up on the worksheets midway through 1. 

Don't waste your money.

We have Level 1 & 2 of RS Spanish. My dd14 loves it and is doing very well with it. We do not do the worksheets at all, she felt like they were just busy work. My ds12 will try it again next year, he started it at age 10 but got quite frustrated by it, he had a lot of trouble getting the microphone to work for some reason. Anyway, in our paltry experience yes, it seems to work better for older kids and kids who aren't easily frustrated. I also think it is really best if you are mainly interested in speaking and understanding the language - it is not as strong on the grammar/writing side of things.

I am thinking of having my ds9 start Duolingo next year. DD14 uses it to supplement Rosetta Stone and she enjoys it. I don't have any personal experience with it myself yet, though.

• Like 1