Menu

Scott Foresman Reading Street...

MamaHappy

Has anyone here used this??  I just bought the grade 5 level and it looks good, but wow... I'm overwhelmed!  There seems to be a lot of components and worksheets and I'm not sure how to tie it all together??

If anyone has used this, can you tell me HOW you used it?  What you used and didn't use? 

Please don't tell me you didn't like it....  this program was too expensive for us NOT to use it, LOL.  :001_smile:

I'm not sure which components you have--I'm more familiar with the lower levels. But typically there is a

Reader/Anthology book of excerpts and short stories arranged by grade level

a grammar workbook | a writing book and possibly some other consumable.

If you read through them, you'll notice that the consumable books go right along with anthology. So when you read that excerpt from Black Beauty you will be doing grammar exercises on sample sentences about horses and such.

I mean the pages even say things like Unit 1/Week 2/Day 3 on the bottom. Check that there isn't a pacing schedule built right into the consumables.

This is a classroom curriculum, but you can modify anything for home school use (within reason anyway). You can totally use it don't worry. :)

Biggest thing is to figure out the core and drop all the extras that were intended to keep a large classroom of kids busy, while those who need more help "catch up".

Don't stress about what you don't need and try to find a place to "use it". You probably won't need all the moving parts and pieces.

A list of the tutorials for the program are here: You can watch the videos or read the PDF's. There is good support here that should help you get started. Then you can tweek to your needs/schedule. And even bump things along faster based on your child's skill level.

http://mypearsontraining.com/products/readingstreet/2011/tutorials.asp

There are webinars at certain times of year you can view at this website as well. Here's one of their recorded one's you can watch, altho the content might not be what you need.

http://mypearsontraining.com/products/readingstreet/2011/webinars.asp?page=recordedwebinars

Check out the tutorials and see if that makes things clearer for you.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Yes, this helps, thank you! I looked through it more last night and I think I'm getting a grasp on things.  I have the homeschool package, so probably not as many components as the classroom package. 

I bought this because I wanted an all-in-one language arts program that is secular and up to current standards.  This looked it would fit the bill.

• 11 months later...

Yes, this helps, thank you! I looked through it more last night and I think I'm getting a grasp on things.  I have the homeschool package, so probably not as many components as the classroom package. 

I bought this because I wanted an all-in-one language arts program that is secular and up to current standards.  This looked it would fit the bill.

Did you ever figure out how to use Reading Street? I bought grade 3 and am quite overwhelmed looking at it right now.

Susie

I actually ended up not using it and selling it on eBay.  When I was looking through, I did come up with a rough plan on how I wanted to use it.  But in the end I decided to use something else.  I wasn't crazy about the quality of literature in Reading Street and it seems way too teacher intensive for me..

• Like 1