Menu

Supplement WT1 with GWG3?

April in WA

I am seriously considering WT1 for my upcoming 3rd grade daughter. I see a lot of you use GWG alongside this. I am wondering if it is really necessary at that level. I guess I am thinking WT1 deals with parts of speech and other lower level grammar.

Also, how do you schedule the two programs together?

Blessings,

April in WA

I can't help with the specifics because we haven't done it yet, but I am planning to use WT1 and GWG3 next year with my oldest (who will be 8 by then.) I have read that it isn't "necessary" to do a seperate grammar text with WT1, unless you want the added grammar. I don't plan on really trying to coordinate the two, but will go through each from the beginning.

GWG 1/2 is working so well for us, we are going to continue with 3. For me, early grammar instruction makes sense the gentle way GWG introduces it. Any grammar in WT1 will just add to it and will help my ds make connections across the different subjects.

I think you will find that it really depends on what your goals are for your dc and whether you think having seperate Grammar is beneficial or not.

I cannot answer your specific question, but thought I would add my invaluable two-cents. :D

I am currently using WT2 and BJU Grammar 5 together for my 5th grade son. I like them both for different reasons. I feel that BJU's English is a stand alone curriculum, but I don't believe the same of WT2. WT2 is very well done, don't misunderstand, but I personally think it's just a tad too laid back in the teaching of grammar. I don't know how WT1 is, but I imagine it is the same.

Having homeschooled high schoolers, and the added knowledge of my many grammar failures with them over the years, I could not imagine using just Writing Tales to teach grammar. I know people will disagree, but I am now in the grammar-is-important-don't-skimp-on-it camp. Have yourself a good solid grammar curriculum, and then add in other curricula like WT. Writing Tales does not take a lot of time. It is simple, straightforward, and fun; a great supplement that we thoroughly enjoy. It is getting my son writing, and actually enjoying the process. Just what I was looking for. ;)

I am not very familiar with GWG, but I personally think your idea of using GWG3 and WT1 is a good one.

I'm going to agree while seeming to disagree with Melissa in CA. I do not think you need additional grammar with WT1 for your 3rd grader. The key to my answer is because your child will be in 3rd grade. It's plenty of grammar for that age. Since Melissa in CA is working with a 5th grader I think it's appropriate to use a more intensive grammar program. I think intensive grammar is important but is more effective in the logic stage. So for now - just do WT1. As your student gets older, add something else. I use Analytical Grammar.

I'm going to agree while seeming to disagree with Melissa in CA. I do not think you need additional grammar with WT1 for your 3rd grader. The key to my answer is because your child will be in 3rd grade. It's plenty of grammar for that age. Since Melissa in CA is working with a 5th grader I think it's appropriate to use a more intensive grammar program. I think intensive grammar is important but is more effective in the logic stage. So for now - just do WT1. As your student gets older, add something else. I use Analytical Grammar.

Hmmmm...Heather's probably right. ;)

I just prefer to err on the side of too much and skim back if needed, than do too little and play catch-up later. I learned that lesson with my older boys...and they've yet to catch up in grammar! One is in 11th and the other in college! :eek: They were my Guinea pigs; I'm afraid I failed them miserably. :o

You know your daughter best though. We can only offer you our opinions...your opinion is what truly counts! :D

Heather and Melissa,

I agree with both of you. In my original email I did not state that my daughter is my youngest. I also have 6th and 4th grade boys. I am already learning from my lessons of being lax on grammar. Actually, I should cut myself some slack. I did R&S grammar 1 and part of 2 with my oldest but he just wasn't ready for it then. Even with Latin Christiana I and part of II, he still struggles with the details of grammar. I am being more dilligent with my younger two. I know my daughter is absolutely capable, but I also know I need to concentrate on my oldest still. I was planning to use CLE with all three of my children next year for LA, but am re-evaluating everything right now to get the most bang for my time and money. Based on what I've seen as samples, I may go either way with GWG for my daughter. She is getting some from Latin and will absorb some just by being in the same room as her brothers during school time. Thanks to all of you for your thougthtful answers.

Blessings,

April in WA