Menu

Qs for Anglicans

Laurie4b

I grew up in a non-liturgical tradition and have some questions about how Anglicans observe Lent.

Can you tell me what a service is like on Ash Wednesday?

Also, I am curious about general practices during Lent if you wouldn't mind sharing. If there are variations, that's ok. I'm just trying to get a general idea.

Here is a link to the Ash Wednessay service in The Book of Common Prayer. http://www.bcponline.org/SpecialDays/ashwed.html

Within the worldwide Anglican Communion, this may vary, but gives you the basic idea.

My church is small and not especially 'high church.' Typically we will have a service on Ash Wednesday, and special services in Holy Week. We make an effort to help newcomers feel comfortable, so if you came to a service, the Priest and parishioners would try to make you comfortable.

The extent to which people observe Lenten disciplines is partly personal. Many Anglican churches in the US attract people from less liturgical traditions. Within my congregation, there are people who are very observant, and those for whom Lent is less important (because Chrisf has already died for our sins and they are Easter as a sort of permanent state of affairs). There are differences in the liturgy throughout the church year, but all the things that are not part of a formal service are more individual, both in meaning and observance. Some fast, some do not. Many Anglian Churches are very respectful of those differences.

In Lent is a time of repentance and preparation. It is a time of reflection and turning to God, reflecting upon our sin and need for redemption. Anglicans do not marry during lent, I think because that would be an ill timed celebration. But if you check out the BCP online, you will get a general ideA of what to expect.

Agreeing with Danestress--good summary!

Lots of Episcopal/Anglican churches do Wednesday night Lenten services. Our church, for example, has dinner and a class (dh does one--this year, Christian Poets--and our seminarian does one, too). After that, there is a service. We do a Taize or Celtic service--this year Celtic--just to change things up a bit.

I love Lent. I love the rhythm the liturgical calendar gives to my life. I love the deep reflection during this time. In the Ash Wednesday service, for example, we go up to receive ashes on our foreheads. They are from the previous year's palms from Palm Sunday, when we have the Passion readings, so they have special significance. At the same time you are reminded of the brevity of your life, you are reminded of the gift of eternal life through Jesus' suffering on the cross.

Good info from Danestress and Chris -- just wanted to add that should you visit (and you should! -- Lenten services are so meaningful) in some way, the entire service will be written out for you to follow.

It'll either be in a customary (a small booklet with the regular service printed in it), or a special bulletin, or there'll be BCPs available -- and page numbers should be given.

It is perfectly acceptable AND expected that you'll follow/read along! 

I say this because my first few services, I felt sure that everyone else had it all memorized and that no one else would be looking at their books/customaries and that I'd stick out like a blatant newbie because I didn't.

Well, I might've stuck out as a newbie, but not because I was reading along. (And everyone was incredibly gracious.) The fact of the matter is that lots of folks may have the liturgy memorized, but they'll STILL follow along in the book. There's no "looking cool" by *not* needing the book!

Hmmm--so much in Anglicanism is individual choice. I know some who don't eat meat on Fridays, go to an extra service Wednesday, pick up and read a Christian book, become more intentional about daily devotions/bible reading--that sort of thing. I know others who want to pay closer attention to a habit they want to drop, so they might keep to a diet, or stop smoking or cut the alcohol, or that sort of thing.

It just varies. And the second group of things is really spiritual, too, because we recognize all belongs to God, and giving up something to be healthier (for example) is just as spiritual as praying more--because we believe in an incarnational faith, so there isn't a separation between the physical body and the spirit. (Hope that makes sense.)