Menu

Questions about Spectrum Chemistry

I have done a thorough search on the Forum and I have all but decided that Spectrum Chemistry is what we're going to use next year for 9th grade (I had previously decided we weren't up for Chem but I'm going to be brave and give it a try)..

I do have a couple questions.....

1. For those that have used the program all the way through, do you feel that the statement made in reviews on other websites that Spectrum is Honors level to be accurate? I'm quite okay if not as long as it will prepare him for Biology.

2. If we do the course as planned except for lesson 65 will it take 32 weeks exactly?  So the quizzes count as a lesson? 

3.A In the Scope/Sequence there's a list of 31 Labs with number 30 being -Review (Quiz on lab equipment and techniques). So does that leave 30 actual labs and 30 weeks or are there 1-2 weeks without a lab?  

3.B  Is there an actual Lab every single week or are there sometimes just activities (it's hard to tell from the S/S) like week -13: Moles (An open-book, family crossword to reinforce the concept of molar quantity).  Is the lab really a crossword puzzle?

4. Are the chemicals just enough to do each lab?  What if we spill something or want to try the lab again?  Is there enough to do that? (From the website I get the impression that there isn't).

5. Is Bridge Math necessary? We'll be doing Alg 2 concurrently.

6. I plan to add in some of the simpler experiments from Illustrated guide to Home Chem (the ones with easy to find chemicals) for fun and because we really prefer hands on stuff, plus I'd also like to add in a couple books like Napoleon's Buttons and THE DISAPPEARING SPOON.  If I did that could I call it Honors Chemistry?

ETA- these too, because they're the equivalent of grown up "picture books".  The Elements and The Molecules.  

My questions sound derogatory which is not my intention, I'm practically sold from all the reviews and the fact that it is open and go.  I just would like to get a better idea of the pacing and how much I need to add before I pull the trigger so to speak.

I really don't know what topics are required for Honors Chemistry. I really don't go out of my way to mark my classes as "regular" versus "honors." However, for a science class, reading popular nonfiction like Napoleon's Buttons or The Elements would not be considered pre-AP work. I would look over the curriculum when you get it and add things like more problem sets (working with more complex chemical equations, etc.) or writing some lab reports "from scratch" (instead of just filling out the lab workbook) if you want to "make sure" it's an honors class. The class "as is" is defintely thorough and if others call it Honors Chem out of the box, I don't think it's a big problem for you do to so if you choose. You will certainly know enough Chemistry to prepare for Biology.

There were those two labs that were worksheets, but otherwise you really are using the lab kit every week. There are many labs that are more of "demonstration" versus "hypothesis testing", but there isn't a lot of "fluff". They do not provide extra chemicals, so no, you cannot do the lab again if you spill or make a mistake.

You do not need bridge math if you are in algebra 2.

You do not need to add additional labs. Indeed, scheduling all the included labs is the hardest part of the course, since some are all day labs and the teacher's manual doesn't give you a time estimate at a glance. You have to read ahead in the lab book and plan for the time needed.

The schedule is laid out for 32 weeks, 3 days per week, so the tests count as a lesson as do the labs (or for the two non-wet labs, the worksheets are a day). I often squeezed in a "review for test" day as extra before tests, or had to use a Saturday or Sunday afternoon where I had more time for an a long lab session. Despite the seemingly thin book, it does keep you pretty busy for those weeks.

HTH.

Thanks, that does help.

I really don't care if it's honors or not (we won't be doing the AP), but if it is honors as written in some peoples opinions and then I add in additional experiments (we'll be keeping a real lab book) and some Living books style reading including current and historical literature then it would definitely be honors is what I was thinking.  (Buttons and Spoon were mostly just for fun but I do see value in looking at Science from a different perspective). I can mark it on DS's transcript as plain Chemistry but if it's something more I'd like that to be acknowledged is all.  

*The extra labs/reading are for fun and to fill out the time because 3 days a week is not enough for us. 

I think Janet answered all of your questions about Spectrum, but I'll add a few observations about the program, too.

The labs are the strength of the program. I taught this course in my home to 8 students, and the lab portion of this course definitely showed them how patience, detail, and a quick eye are necessary in true laboratory work. Many of the experiments require lots of timing, stirring on a schedule, and waiting. I was very pleased with this aspect of the course. Some of the experiments took more than one day...one took 1 full month of waiting to see the results. So you cannot just count the 30 labs as 30 days of work. And that mole review crossword...Ha! That thing was actually quite a challenge. 

And no, there are no replacement chemicals. We had one spill during the year, and it was quite disappointing to that lab group because they were not able to finish the lab (after having already invested quite a bit of time into it). 

We actually ran out of school year before we could do all the labs...we did 27 of them...had to pick and choose from the ones at the very end of the course. 

There were NO weeks during the year when my students only had 3 days of work like the Spectrum website says. There were a handful of weeks when I assigned 4 days of work, but most of our weeks took 5 full days. Of course, we had class meetings every week when we reviewed material and did lab work. I also wrote tests to go with the material, so that added in extra days, too. 

We found a lot of typos/editing mistakes in the Spectrum textbook. The authors do provide a list of errors on the website; be sure to print it out and keep it with you. But we found quite a few other errors, too, so be aware. Also, one of our chemical boxes (I ordered 4) was missing several chemicals. The company was quick to send them to me...but you may want to carefully check your materials when they come.

I did not count the course as honors, but it definitely provided my son with enough chemistry background to go into AP Chem (and he is doing very well in that course right now). 

I did order Bridge math for my students because they all came in with differing math backgrounds. I found it to be a complete waste of money, and I do not recommend it. 

HTH! Jetta