Menu

AoPS progression

4ofus

I've seen this discussed several times on my various thread searches, but of course, on decision making day I can't find it. Please help. Either input or thread link would be awesome!

DS will finish PA online early June. We plan to continue with math through the summer. I'm on the fence about beginning Algebra 1 in the summer. I'm looking for threads/persons about doing Intro to NP or Intro to CP before Algebra 1 & how successful that might/might not be PLUS comparing Intro to NP to Intro to CP in terms of difficulty.

AoPS recommends these courses after Intro to Algebra. I'm okay with that too & it may be exactly what we do. I'm just trying to determine all of the options :).

AOPS still recommends the texts after the first 11 chapters of intro algebra, but on their class recommendations website they say: Those students who have completed a rigorous Prealgebra program, such as our Prealgebra 1 and Prealgebra 2 courses, are ready for our Introduction to Counting & Probability and Introduction to Number Theory courses, although most students take these courses after finishing Algebra 1.

I thought both these topics were so much fun and so interesting when I took my first class in them. 

DS8 did some number theory (not AoPS) at 7, and DS12 just finished AoPS Number Theory as a filler between Algebra 2 & Intermediate Algebra.  He did Intro to Counting & Probability over the summer.  I think number theory is very accessible if you have that mysterious substance called "number sense."  It can be tough at any age if you don't understand a bit about the nature of numbers.  Counting is one of the hardest subjects in mathematics, but that course is great.  If you are comfortable with meticulous thinking, you are in good shape.  If your thoughts are still very unstructured, it might be a bit tough at this point.

I've seen this discussed several times on my various thread searches, but of course, on decision making day I can't find it. Please help. Either input or thread link would be awesome!

DS will finish PA online early June. We plan to continue with math through the summer. I'm on the fence about beginning Algebra 1 in the summer. I'm looking for threads/persons about doing Intro to NP or Intro to CP before Algebra 1 & how successful that might/might not be PLUS comparing Intro to NP to Intro to CP in terms of difficulty.

AoPS recommends these courses after Intro to Algebra. I'm okay with that too & it may be exactly what we do. I'm just trying to determine all of the options :).

I'd recommend you follow your son's lead. My DS really enjoyed the Number Theory part of pre-algebra, but struggled with the counting and probability section. I could see he needed a bit more time before he would be ready for the other books so we continued on with Algebra.

The first two chapters haven't caused too much trouble for my son thus far. I don't think it would be unreasonable for your son to continue into the Algebra book in the summer.

I think this particular child definitely has number sense. Thanks for that descriptor :). I think he's leaning toward A1 during the summer so he doesn't have any other classes to juggle with while he works on it. We're going to enroll in the class & I know it goes fast so...I think it would be a good idea to go ahead & do that one & maybe do Intro NP after. 

It's that planning time of year ;).