Menu

Reading Kingdom

abacus2

Has anyone else used or know anything about Reading Kingdom? I saw it in a Homeschoolbuyerco-op.org Facebook post and was interested enough to buy it to try for my 6 year old. It is on sale for $83 with the co-op fee through Saturday, 1/31, for a one-year subscription. It claims to take students independently from preschool through third grade level reading. 

DD the youngest has known her letters and sounds for a long time and has randomly read words occasionally for a couple years, but reading hasn't just clicked suddenly for her like it did for DD the middle. I've really struggled with being consistent with reading instruction so I am very excited to add something that will ensure she is getting practice every single school day.

Has anyone used this program? Success? Flop? Tips?

We have a subscription through Testingmom.com so it was part of a package deal. It was too challenging too quickly for my 4 (now 5) year old due to the keyboarding skills required.  The focus seems to be on learning to spell whole words more than phonics.   RK will ask the student to spell a word and if they can do so, it moves to the next word.  Once they cannot spell a word (i.e. "water") the program will teach them to spell it, find it in a sentence and read a paragraph containing the word using various exercises. 

I am using the RK with my 9 y.o. (yes, not all hs kids read by age 3).  The drills are little long- he could probably learn the word in about half the time the lessons require.  But, it forces him to focus and listen which are both more important skills for him to practice right now.  I have seen an improvement in his reading focus since we began the program. 

Note on Testingmom- Some of the resources require you to receive a password via e-mail and I have had a really hard time getting those.  I've given up on ever using some of the programs that came with the package as a result.  But, the ones I do use justified the price.