Menu

SOTW Mapwork questions

Can I just say EVERYTIME I stray from SOTW ciricculum I come running back and enjoy it even more!

But the mapwork....I just haven't found the best way to use it.  I was wondering if any of you have suggestions.

I LOVE the mapwork. I think it reinforces geography very well.  I have actually really learned a lot over the 4 years we have used it. Currently I have 3 students who participate in the mapwork for volume 4 (6th grader, 4th grader, 2nd grader who has dyslexia and still is struggling with reading fluency and handwriting is a chore as he leans toward mirror image writing some of the time still).  Anyhow, because the directions are not typed on the page I read them aloud but I tend to have one student ready to move on to the next one while the other is still writing which makes for idle hands (NOT GOOD!LOL!) Also, what atlas you you use for them to locate the answers? Because a lot of the mapwork is time sensitive a modern map is not enough (Between WWI and WWII borders changed more times than I care to count!)

I think the BEST option would be to work through it with them on the white board large enough for them to see so they can catch up at the end if needed without me having to come back and read the direction to them again.  But to copy all the maps on oversized paper would be tedious and EXPENSIVE... Any other solutions so that they can either do it independantly or how we could do it as a group without doing all the extra work?

Thanks in advance!

Nic

Most of the maps are also printed in whichever SOTW chapter you're using, so you can peek and see what's where if you need to. (I actually never noticed this until dd pointed it out one day. We're currently in vol. 4 as well, and I know this is true for that book.)

We like the Usborne Geography Encyclopedia and will often pull it out to compare modern countries with the ones we're studying historically. It's interesting to compare the maps over time, and dd gets a kick out of it. It helps reinforce modern geography too.

I agree that I'd write for the 2nd grader until he's more comfortable. Could the 6th and/or 4th grader read silently out of the book and complete their own while you work with the younger one? Then you could all discuss afterwards. Or you could go over it orally with all three first and then allow the older(s) to fill in the map on their own.

The master map is at the beginning of each chapter of SOTW.I use my copy of Blackline Maps of World History (now sold as Maptrek) in addition to SOTW mapwork.  It's very compatible and sometimes covers more details.  It has a master copy and a blankline copy for the student to use to copy the important information on.

I think you just have to let them work separately on the mapwork with such a wide age/developmental range.  Isn't there some independent work your older kids can work on while you're helping the youngest?