Menu

Would it be okay to use W&R with an older child?

mo2

I have a 7th grader who hates writing.  I think W&R looks fun, and I have the first level for use with my younger children.  Could I use this with the 7th grader but speed it up, double time perhaps, to get through the levels quicker?  Would it be enough for someone this age?

Well, you can.  You can do anything you want!  And as much as somebody might say you should be doing something more advanced with a 7th grader, you really have to meet them where they are, right? So if you think this looks like something that would work, i don't see a problem.  I had my 6th grader do quite a lot of Narrative 2 last year, but we definitely tweaked it - we didn't do most of the exercises, and we expanded the writing projects.  You can see some of the stories she wrote on this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/514019-using-cap-wr-with-older-students/

I actually think Chreia is fine for a 7th grader.  it introduces essay writing - in a formulaic way, true, but it's really not easy.  You have to do quite a bit of thinking to come up with something relevant and coherent to say for each of the 6 paragraphs you are asked to write.  It's quite a step up in challenge.

I think you could do Narrative 2, with expanded writing assignments, and Chreia with a 7th grader and that would be a reasonable year of writing.  You could certainly try fable and narrative 1, and if they don't find it too young, then its fine.  I'd expect them to move through the first two books really quickly, though.

Well, my hope is that we could move through the first two books very quickly.  It looks like we could skip a lot of the questions in Fable, maybe answer some of them orally, and probably do a writing assignment each day.  I'm mainly thinking of it as a confidence builder, because she *thinks* she can't write well.