Menu

Anyone in TN NOT use an umbrella school?

I've lived in TN for 13 yrs, and we've always used an umbrella school, but my ds12 wants to play sports.  With the new (3 yrs old) rules, if the school agrees, he could play on their team but only if we are registered through the county.  I had thought that our Superintentent would never allow it, but I've heard that they are desperate for kids to fill out the teams (the area is very rural).  

Anyway, I'm unsure about this.  I had been considering putting him in public school, but in KY (we live close to the line).  We would have to pay for that, but it's an almost decent school.  But putting him in would create all sorts of logistical nightmares because of other children and activities.  So the option of letting him play in town is tempting.  

I'm nervous about highschool.  I'm worried about the "End of Course" tests that are required (do they still exist???).  Has anyone here done this? 

I feel like trying to be helpful, but I'm with cover school (so maybe this is just a bump).

I think that I know this. but I could be so wrong. 

Homeschoolers who file with district are considered "independent home schoolers"   Testing will be required in grades 5, 7 and 9th. 

as of this year, High School End of Course examinations are given in English I, English II, English III, Algebra I, Algebra II, U.S. History, Biology I and Chemistry

So, when they are in 9th grade, they have end of course tests only if they are taking those courses. 

go here and open up the part called Independent Home School

http://www.tn.gov/education/schools/homeschool.shtml

read the FAQ... it says

If a home school student in grade 9 is taking a course for which there is an end of course test, that student should be required to take that end of course exam.  That will mean some 9th grade students, depending on the courses they are taking, will have less tests to take that year than others.

it doesn't have to be the TCAP or EOC.. other approved tests can be used according to one of FAQ questions/answers

the question is:  are there any sanctions for your academic or athletic needs if the student is below proficiency?  I don't know.